• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrine France Race? (1 Viewer)

rosbifs

PutAin STOP
Ukraine
Spotted over campsite nr Gruissan.

It looked massive but then it was fairly close! What a bird but can a race be assigned. I'm pretty sure its not a Brookei because of the facial markings - lot of white...

Attachments

• peregrine 3.JPG
    peregrine 3.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 88
  • peregrine 1.JPG
    peregrine 1.JPG
    323.6 KB · Views: 79
  • peregrine 2.JPG
    peregrine 2.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 60
Looks pretty normal to me - so why not nominate peregrinus?

Or is someone holding Peregrine races, like pigeon races? 8-P

But on the other hand:

densely spotted all the way up to the upper breast, and with the pinkish/buffish ground colour so typical of the local subspecies.

Peter

Peter

So most likely the one I thought it wasn't - Brookei!!!! I saw the colour but I thought it looked more like blood, if that makes sense. I was looking at the 'hood' which I thought, for Brookei, would be more extensive.

Thanks for help.

Rosbifs

Looks pretty normal to me - so why not nominate peregrinus?

Or is someone holding Peregrine races, like pigeon races? 8-P

That is something I would like to see - Peregrine races!

As for the race of the bird I was intrigued to see if possible to assign - its rare I'm able that get a good picture! I know there is Brookei and peregrinus but as osais the hood looks small for the former.m and it looked big...

Last edited:
But on the other hand:

densely spotted all the way up to the upper breast, and with the pinkish/buffish ground colour so typical of the local subspecies.

Which subspecies does that mean? North side of the Pyrenees, it's mapped as peregrinus, with brookei in the Iberian Peninsula south of the Pyrenees.

The LPO wrote to me, because I had posted the photo on faune-lr, to say that this was adult female peligrinus. Apparently, there are only 2 or 3 confirmed historic records of brookei in this area....

The LPO wrote to me, because I had posted the photo on faune-lr, to say that this was adult female peligrinus. Apparently, there are only 2 or 3 confirmed historic records of brookei in this area....

And this would be the very first 'peligrinus'.......:eek!:

A

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back