• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd bird in Bathgate W Lothian (1 Viewer)

Irvo52

Scotland
I've not seen this one before. any ideas?
Slightly smaller than a jackdaw, mainly black with white/pale bands on rear undersides of wings, visible when in flight. Wings broad, tail fairly short, squared at end. Couldn't get close enough to see head clearly but looked like a thrush-like beak.
Flight has fairly rapid wingbeats followed by short straight glides (not bounding like green woodpecker or Jay). Looks 'heavy', lands heavy on ground and also perches in trees and bushes. Seems to be patrolling a fairly small territory of a cattle field next to houses. Other birds not interested in it (i.e. no 'mobbing' behaviour) although it perches in trees near starlings, crows, etc.
The 'jizz' was unfamiliar to me, only things that spring to mind are mynah-type and flight reminded me of scoter. Obviously not the latter! Possible escaped mynah of some description?
Nothing in my Peterson guidebook similar to this.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back