• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 15x56 Question (1 Viewer)

JerryLogan

Hello all,

New to Swarovski so beginners question. I understand that there is an old version and a new version of the SLC 15x56. What is the difference and is there a quick way to identify each version? Are there other, even earlier models?

Thanks,
Jerry

I owned the prior version of the 15x56 Swaros. I used them extensively for 3 field seasons doing raptor migration research in Thailand and Nepal (2011-2013). Optically they are great if used in conditions when light is adequate or better. (In other words not at dawn or dusk etc.) That being said, both the previous version and the newer version (a few ounces lighter) are heavy. It is tough to hold them up for any length of time.

I have used (via borrowing) the new version of the 15x56s...I saw no difference, optically, between new and old versions.

As I understand it, the new version had to be released because lead was used in the manufacturing of the glass in the prior model...and in about 2015 the European Union outlawed the use of lead in the manufacturing of any product (to protect workers). Hence the new model...

The new version is a few ounces lighter...has a slightly different exterior design...but optically (to me) is the same as the prior version. So I would recommend whichever model you can get for the best price...but remember - these bins are heavy. You will only be able to hold them steady for a minute or so - you will then need to out them down to allow your arms to recover...

I'm not a high power guy by nature but when our shop got the new version / "HD" glass, the "Wow" factor was there for me, compared to the previous version, and I ended up getting one for myself.
Being a smidge lighter and better balanced, they can be hand held a bit longer but, yes, they do need to go on a tripod for extended use.

Thanks so much everyone. That was very helpful. As a follow up, a 15x56 WB is earlier than either of the SLC? Also, as I look at an SLC, is there some mark or indication which version I am seeing?

Thanks again and all the best,
Jerry

PS Thanks particularly for the warnings on weight. Main use will be tripod mounted for extended whale watch so thankfully not much lugging around the local terrain.

Thanks so much everyone. That was very helpful. As a follow up, a 15x56 WB is earlier than either of the SLC? Also, as I look at an SLC, is there some mark or indication which version I am seeing?

Thanks again and all the best,
Jerry

PS Thanks particularly for the warnings on weight. Main use will be tripod mounted for extended whale watch so thankfully not much lugging around the local terrain.

Good question. One thing that may guide you is the serial number. Add 30 to the first two digits and that will be the year of manufacture.

Ed

Very useful. Is this true for all Swarovski binoculars or just the 15x56 models.

Thanks,
Jerry

It's true for all of them, even refurbished binoculars when they upgrade damaged ones.

But, always buy from an authorized dealer, or make sure that used ones were originally imported through SONA (Swarovski Optik North America). Their warranty is nothing short of spectacular. :t:

Ed

Hi, I am selling the newer model Swarovski 15x56 HD model 2014 at the moment. I am very happy with it and it is incredibly brighter, sharper and contraster, but swarovision 10x50 is better handheld!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back