• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arne (1 Viewer)

cstillm

Managed to fit in a trip to Arne, near Swanage yesterday Friday 9 July. For those who don't know it, Arne is a superb reserve on the Isle of Purbeck, overlooking Poole harbour. Much of it is covered in gorse and heather, the latter a beautiful purple at this time of year.
As a newcomer to bird watching it was a great day all round.
Huge flock of curlews in the grass. Oystercatcher, redshank and greenshank in the muddy pools and, best of all, well over a 100 black-tailed godwits on Middlemere Lake.According to the log book the number was nearer 200 earlier in the pm.
Driving back I spotted a little bird on a telephone wire that I didn't recognise. Pulled over but by the time I'd got my binoculars out it had disappeared. It must have felt sorry for me as it reappeared again within a short time. Turned out to be a male stonechat which is a first for me. Not too sure how rare they are, but I certainly enjoyed watching it for a full 5 minutes. Perfect end to the day.
Looking forward to a week in Pembrokeshire (Talbenny near Haverford West) in a couple of weeks. I'm going to Skomer of course but if anyone can recommend any other good haunts I'd love to hear about them.
Chris

Good day out there Chris.

Stonechats are fairly common, especially in the habitat you describe. Much commoner than Whinchats which inhabit similar types of habitat.

If you are down in Dorset again, a definite must is Radipole RSPB Nauture Reserve right in the heart of Weymouth. It has extensive reed beds. In Summer it is good for awrblers :reed, Sege and Cetti's. If you are lucky, it had Bearded Tits, although they are extremely difficult to come by. In winter Bitterns occasionally turn up.
A mouthwatering place, I think.

Then there is the Portland Bill Bird Observatory which is probably the best place to see rare birds and not so rare birsd on the South Coast. It is graet for seawatching as well.
If you are considering keeping going with birdwatching, you coulkd do worse than become a member of the Portland Bill Observatory.

Anyway, good luck with your travels.

Regards,

Padraig.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back