• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Category B to A upgrades (1 Viewer)

Ben Rackstraw

Having just come across Cornish Exile's thread on the next additions to the British List, and while scouring the BOU list for candidates likely by their absence, I noticed that there are currently 12 species residing in Category B (not recorded since 1950).

Here's the link...
http://www.bou.org.uk/recbrlst.html

Ok then, so which one of those is going to be the first to get an upgrade? Will someone find a half-eaten Bulwer's Petrel on Chesil Beach, will it be a flock of Ruddy Shelducks from a new colour-ringing scheme in Bulgaria, or maybe a Capercaillie in off the sea at Flamborough?

Your votes please...with situation and location if possible. I'm not going to tell you what I'm hoping for, because then it might not happen this June...

Last edited:
Gotta be madeiran storm petrel for me. If there are plenty of wilson's out there surely a madeiran will make it sooner rather than later.

Can't decide between Bulwer's Petrel and Great Black-headed Gull (why did the BOU change the name to Pallas's Gull?). Haven't there been a few claims of Bulwer's in recent years, or is my memory playing tricks?

Bluetail said:
Haven't there been a few claims of Bulwer's in recent years, or is my memory playing tricks?

I thought it was on Category A until I checked the BOU link. I'm pretty sure that a Birdforum member once had a concrete sighting in the early-mid 80s...

Hi all,
Bulwer's Petrel is on our Category A anyway due to a record from September 1975 (the only record).
I'd imagine that that species or Great Black-headed Gull must turn up again in the UK, though I wonder if the old records of the former will pass muster these days, especially as Swinhoe's Storm-petrel seems to be the 'default' dark-rumped petrel...?
Harry

Bluetail said:
(why did the BOU change the name to Pallas's Gull?).

Pallas discovered it, and too many people (particularly foreigners) got confused with Great Black-headed, misunderstanding it as either Great Black-backed, or else just Black-headed (I think that was why, anyway)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back