• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange Little Bird (1 Viewer)

SecondLife

I haven't manage to photograph but will try my best to describe it. It is robin sized and very round and plump like a robin, it has a black cap, short tail and has been feed from the seeds and suet balls. The feathers on the back are greyish with lighter feathers on the body.

I tried a bird identifier but it came up with blackcap and lesser whitethroat which also say they do not arrive until April.

Very curious about this, first time I have seen it in the garden.

Hi, welcome to BirdForum.

Your description sounds like a Blackcap. Whilst they are mainly a summer arrival as your bird identifier says, large numbers now spend the winter in Britain, often visiting gardens. I had one on fat balls in the garden a couple of weeks ago.

If it had a small black 'bib' below the beak then it could be a Marsh Tit if you have some woodland nearby, but Blackcap is more likely.

Regards,

James

I haven't manage to photograph but will try my best to describe it. It is robin sized and very round and plump like a robin, it has a black cap, short tail and has been feed from the seeds and suet balls. The feathers on the back are greyish with lighter feathers on the body.

I tried a bird identifier but it came up with blackcap and lesser whitethroat which also say they do not arrive until April.

Very curious about this, first time I have seen it in the garden.

sounds like a blackcap which do over winter, whitethroat is due in over the next couple of weeks.
I have a couple of Blackcaps in the garden...is it like this?

Attachments

• Blackcap b.jpg
    Blackcap b.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 57
sounds like a blackcap which do over winter, whitethroat is due in over the next couple of weeks.
I have a couple of Blackcaps in the garden...is it like this?

Fantastic, thank you, that is exactly the same. We are very new to watching birds as we have never had a living room window overlooking a garden. :eat:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back