• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Attacked All My Windows For 2 Weeks Just Before Fire Destroyed My House (1 Viewer)

esoxlee

So back in May of this year, had a dark grey bird about the size of a robin continuously attack all the windows on my house. It would perch on a nearby branch close to the window and just bounce back and forth pecking violently at the glass. I'd open up the window, stick my head out and it would just stare at me breathing heavily while it made this weird culling noise. My face would be 12 to 18 inches from it and only if I brush it away with my hand would it fly away and begin the process all over again at the next window over. It would do this continuously from sunrise to sunset taking the occasional break to feed. For almost 2 weeks this went on non-stop like clockwork. Then late on May 21st, after visiting my mom, I'd come home to about half a dozen emergency vehicles next to what was left of my house.

http://www.durhamregion.com/news-story/4537964-caesarea-home-destroyed-in-fire/

I've lived in this house for 14 yrs and never had a bird so much as peck at any of my windows and it happens just before I lost my house. Yes, I'm sure it's just a weird coincidence, but you have to admit, it's kind of freaky.

So what the heck was that thing doing? I'm convinced it wasn't attacking it's reflection because several of the windows are under thick tree canopy and the bird would still peck at these locations as it got close to dusk. I doubt it was able to see it's reflection under such dark conditions. And yes, I was awaken by the bird's incessant pecking the morning of the fire.

Last edited:
Have you seen the bird since?

Assume you're resident somewhere else for a while.

Been back to the house only once to meet up with my insurance company. Haven't been back since.

Here are some pics of my room mates at the hotel I've been staying at.

Attachments

• room mates.JPG
    room mates.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 104
Sorry to hear about your house, that is a very odd coincidence though.

I also sincerely hope the bedbugs are a joke.

Been back to the house only once to meet up with my insurance company. Haven't been back since.

Here are some pics of my room mates at the hotel I've been staying at.

Your insurance company should be putting you up in a better hotel! I was in Canada this time last year, so I know that you have some good hotels.

I also sincerely hope the bedbugs are a joke.

Bugs were from Comfort Inn. Stayed at the hotel for about 3 weeks. Killed 2 of them, but didn't see the 3rd until after it bit me. It's the really dark and roundish one at the top. When I told the front desk I was checking out because of the bed bugs, clerk said I still had to pay for a full night. Unbelievable.

All the clothes and luggage I got after the fire are sealed in garbage bags in the back of my vehicle. Had to buy another set of clothing. Not sure what to do with all my stuff in garbage bags.

Your insurance company should be putting you up in a better hotel! I was in Canada this time last year, so I know that you have some good hotels.

The Insurance Company actually lets me choose the hotel. I started off at a Best Western, but when I had trouble finding an apartment, I downgraded to the Comfort Inn next door. I'm back at the Best Western now and thank goodness, I finally found an apartment. But move in date is not until July 30th.

Not sure how long it will take to rebuild the house. It was a water front property great for bird watching. Had all sorts of bird feeding stations including one for humming birds. Got a good variety of birds because of the lake. Took all the feeders down though after finding a decapitated house sparrow. There was also a falcon that started to hang around that I knew was preying on birds visiting my feeders and the sound of grackles really started to drive me nuts.

Very strange. I remember in the 2006 Boxing day tsunami that a lot of the animals sensed something and immediately went to higher ground, animals are supposed to be more intune with atmosphere/surroundings but this sounds more like a premonition/warning, its a strange world we live in.
Happy to know your safe and sound though.

Damian

Very strange. I remember in the 2006 Boxing day tsunami that a lot of the animals sensed something and immediately went to higher ground...

Accept this wasn't true, but myth. I was there when the tsunami struck and amongst the destruction I saw plenty of dead/injured animals. Furthermore, in the areas of Yala, persons who were in the national park when the wave struck did not report any strange absence of animals in the immediate period before.

Accept this wasn't true, but myth. I was there when the tsunami struck and amongst the destruction I saw plenty of dead/injured animals. Furthermore, in the areas of Yala, persons who were in the national park when the wave struck did not report any strange absence of animals in the immediate period before.

I was there too Jos (it hit on my birthday and we had spent the day before scuba diving all day at Phi Phi) and yes there were a lot of domestic animals caught in the waves.
However there were a lot of stories regarding the elephants, in particular. This wouldn't be surprising considering the sensitivity in their feet and the vibrations must have been felt well before the waves hit.

Last edited:

Well you learn something new everyday, that must of been a horrendous situation you were in and something i wouldn't want to experience, thankfully you were one of the lucky ones who survived it.

Thanks
Damian

Interesting story. I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing though. As humans I think we would like to make the connection that the bird knew. It was certainly up to something though.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back