• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seed feeders for Yellowhammers (1 Viewer)

trw

I recently made a posting about seed feeders maintaining a population of Red Listed Yellowhammers and Stock Doves in an area which is not part of any nature reserve.

The other day I paid a return visit:the Yellowhammers were heard and seen all evening and Stock doves were flying around as well.There are at least 9 Yellowhammer and 8 Stock Dove in a comparatively small area.

The seed feeders are maintained by a group of pheasant shooters.

I reckon local Wildlife groups,the National Trust and the RSPB could set these seed feeders up in likely Yellowhammer areas.

A good example is a local National Trust woodland where a private individual used to resupply a line of garden feeders.
He died and the seed feeders disappeared:then the Yellowhammers which used to be seen there regularly,were never seen again

I have written to the warden and suggested they install these low maintenance up turned blue bucket seed feeders used by the pheasant shooters.
They only have to turn once a year to replenish them.

If there is anyone out there involved with wildlife groups how about contacting them and suggesting they employ this simple idea to help maintain some of our disappearing species.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back