• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oops I did it again... (1 Viewer)

...as we say in the North West the s*** hit the fan on sunday evening for me!

After finishing work at 5pm I shot off to Astley Green to see the BUFFLEHEAD. I had to be in Scunthorpe for 9pm to attend a 60th birthday meal for a family member. I had no optics with me, so I first had to stop at home in south Manchester to pick up scope & bins. Then I had to tackle the nightmare M60 which is always busy no matter what day or what time.

I eventually reached Astley at 6.40pm. I saw it straight away and should have gone as soon as I had seen it. But something just wouldn't let me go. Part of me felt guilty about just jumping out of the car saying "tick" to myself and then shooting off. I imagined the medium sized crowd all saying "bloody twitchers" to each other as they cursed my lack of broad birding interest.

So I stayed. And stayed. And then I got chatting to some fun guys and the county recorder. I stayed.

It got darker.

9pm in Scunthorpe loomed ever closer.

So eventually I left Astley at 7.45pm (oops).

First I had to go home. I Got changed and eventually got on the road at 8.45pm!!!

It's 100 miles from Manchester to "sunny-Scunny" and a 1 hour 45 minute drive in clear traffic.

Needless to say I was late.

Very late.

Needless to say I got a roasting off the family.

A big roasting.

The next time if I ask all you guys on BF if I should go and see something, PLEASE SAY NO!!!

Tom.

Hi Tom,

Enjoyed your story [again] and also good to hear that my home town got a mention, good old sunny- Scunny!

Cheers
Intellectual

Tom, just do what I did and be completely honest with your spouse - I simply explained that I had an important meeting in the Leeds area on Tuesday afternoon and that I might well be late back - everyone happy ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back