• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds In Majorca, Spain (1 Viewer)

SAFM

Hi everyone,
Just Wondering if anyone knows what Kind of birds i should see in this area

Thanks
Scott

Scott, depends on what time of year you are going (or planning on going).

Havent been for several years now, but previously been around easter (when it has been mid-late april) and had:
Black Stork, Purple Heron, Little Bittern, Collared Pratincole, Black Vulture, Eleonora's Falcon, Black winged stilt, Audouin's Gull, Gull Billed Tern, Whiskered Tern, Alpine Swift, Bee-eater, Hoopoe, Wryneck, Scops Owl, Cetti's Warbler, Fan Tailed Warbler, Sardininan Warbler, Marmora's Warbler, Subalpine Warbler, Bluethroat.

Those are some of my highlights that I can remember off the top of my head. Obviously some birds will require abit of travelling from site to site, and more birds can be seen by a bit of sea watching. There are also plenty more birds to see on passage migration.

The Albufera nature reserve in the north,close to Alcudia, is a good place, as is the Boquer Valley behind Puerto Pollensa.

Birds in Mallorca island

Scott,

The kind of birds that you can watch in Mallorca is like the birds in England (more or less!).

The main difference is maybe about the sea birds. Sorry but I don't know the english names of birds.

José Luis.

We´re in Majorca at present and I manage a couple of hours birding each day. Apart from time of year I´d also say the range of species depends on where you´re staying as well for the different habitats.

I´ll post a list of species we´ve seen when we get back home - so far it´s around 46. Today brought Woodchat Shrike, Hoopoe, Turtle Dove, Serin. Audouins Gull are a daily sighting along with Shag, Kestrel.

I´ll post the full list next week.

SAFM said:
Hi everyone,
Just Wondering if anyone knows what Kind of birds i should see in this area

Thanks
Scott

A beautiful island now the yobbo's have gone elsewhere. Get yourself a good bird guide on 'Birds of Majorca' and you will return year after year.

This is still my favourite island.

John.

Last edited:
Mallorca

s.g. said:
And mine, we went to gran canaria this year, bloody waist of time as far as birds go.

S. G.

I've had a couple of trips to Mallorca, great place for birding and easy to get away from the crowds. My trips have been off season (ie off the birding season and right in the tourist season) - even so well worth the visit.

Check out:
http://www.naturalbornbirder.com/travel/travel.php
there are two "reports" you can download - most birders go there during the migration season so these may give you a little more info.

Hi,Mallorca is a brilliant place for birding,i've been seven times over the years,i stay in Alcudia which is great resort near to Albufera reserve and is easy to get to Puerto Pollenca and the Boquer Valley,and up to Cuber Dam,on visits to Mallorca ive seen the likes of Caspian,Whiskered,Black,White Winged Black Terns,Booted Eagle,Honey Buzzard,Egyptian and Black Vultures,Red Footed Falcon,Eleonora's Falcon,Stone Curlew,Beeater Marmora's Warbler to name a few,i'm going back in May.

Rob.

Graham Hearl's excellent guide with maps will tell you pretty much all you'll need to know. Published by Arlequin Press - ISBN 09522019 76.

I'd say Mallorca makes about the best spot in Europe to take your hobby overseas - especially if it your first birding trip abroad.

Hi Scott,
I'll go along with all the comments on Majorca.
Book to look out for is the late Graham Hearl's 'Birdwatching guide to Mallorca' ISBN 0952201976. It's a bit old but still contains some good stuff.
Checkout the Birdguides web store for the Gosney 'Where to watch birds in Mallorca' booklet, only a fiver or so but again contains some good stuff.
Meanwhile I've an excel checklist of Majorcan birds, if you want it. Tried to attach it to this post but it is an invalid file type, so could e-mail it for you.

nice report, where's best for Squacco Herons, in April I didn't see any but they're obviously commoner than I thought if you saw 10.

I'm just back from Mallorca myself - stuck to S'Albufera area yet again. Very enjoyable.

I've written a trip report (full of pictures) here.

Intresting reading julian,iam heading out that way myself next week for ten days,hope i am as fortunate as you were spotting wise.Would 300mm camera lens be ok for shots as traveling light.
Cheers bob.f

I have just submitted report on Mallorca -see Vacational Trip Reports "SW Mallorca".

S'Albufera from Bishop Hides especially offers tremendous views, also from 3 bridges.

nice report, where's best for Squacco Herons, in April I didn't see any but they're obviously commoner than I thought if you saw 10.

They roost at the side of the main canal along with the Night Herons. Walking down the main drive from the entrance if you go down to the bank just before the small bridge you should see them in the trees and the reeds on the opposite bank.

HTH

Bird guide to Mallorca

I've just returned from Mallorca and found at the Reserve Centre for Albufeira, a recently published book to replace the old guide to birding in this spectacular island.
ISBN 978-84-613-5793-2
A trifle expensive at 18 Euros but very well worth the expenditure!
Much more information (which is much more up to date too!) than the old one.
A must for "newbies" and experienced Mallorca birders alike.
Good birding!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back