• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod / head / essentials for Canon 600mm (1 Viewer)

Neil Grubb

There have been a few threads on this subject before. I'm thinking to around a year's time and saving for a high quality lens, tripod and head combination. I am just pricing a 600mm lens set-up, and from earlier BF threads recommended tripods have been the Gitzo 1350, 3540LS and 1325. The Wimberley, King Cobra and Jobu Black Widow gimbals are on the shortlist for tripod heads.

What I need to know is, do I need anything else to couple a 600mm lens to the head ? Does the lens come with a bracket to attach it to the tripod head ?I have seen quick release plates advertised for some heads - would I need anything like this ? If I did buy a mega lens set-up I would like to be sure I order everything I need to get going.

Thanks,

Neil

If you got for any of those gimbal heads (which you should) you'll also need a quick-release plate for the lens. You should be able to get a suitable one from wherever you buy the head.

Hi Neil,
I missed which make lens (can/nik) you intend to purchase, but as stated you will need an adaptor plate, which simply screws to the base of the lens tripod foot.If you get a Nikon 600/4 lens then instead of adaptor plate you should seriously consider changing the foot (it is much too tall and flexible) for a low profile version such as those made by Wimberly/Kirk.Check out the Wimberly and Kirk sites and you will see what I mean.The plate or foot are about £50-£80 new!
regards I4ani.

I use the gitzo 3540ls with a 500mm but don't thinks its the best for a 600mm lens. The 5541ls will be more suitable. More expense but you will need a very solid tripod.

Hi Neil,
I missed which make lens (can/nik) you intend to purchase, but as stated you will need an adaptor plate, which simply screws to the base of the lens tripod foot.

Hi,

Thanks for this advice. You maybe missed the thread title, but I would be using a Canon EF 600mm IS if I decide to go ahead (!).

Many thanks,

Neil

I use the Jobu Black Widow with my 500 f4 and am very happy with it, I have heard that there is a new version due out very soon (next couple of weeks) which will easily hold the 600 f4 and will retail for a good deal less than the Wimberley.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back