Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 20th July 2017, 21:01   #1
rabbitsruletheworld

fully fledged Dunnock constantly calling for food

Hi

We love and welcome birds into our garden.

However a strange thing has happened over the last week, a fully grown Dunnock is calling for food, more or less constantly through daylight hours. It can feed itself and fly well as we have seen it.

I have to say its getting a bit like Chinese water torture! Does anyone know why it is doing this? We have had countless fledglings over many years and this has never happened before.

Ps I have also checked for injuries etc.
Old Thursday 20th July 2017, 21:52   #2
KC Foggin
Super Moderator

I have a few species over here that go mad with the calling once their chicks have fledged. Could it possibly be that?

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 20th July 2017, 22:36   #3
rabbitsruletheworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Foggin View Post
I have a few species over here that go mad with the calling once their chicks have fledged. Could it possibly be that?

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum
It's the fledgling making the calls, not the adult. Tbh the adults are trying to keep clear
Old Thursday 20th July 2017, 23:00   #4
KC Foggin
Super Moderator

You originally stated that it was a fully grown Dunnock. Then the juvies are just begging to be fed and parents are leaving them on their own to learn

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 21st July 2017, 00:42   #5
rabbitsruletheworld

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Foggin View Post
You originally stated that it was a fully grown Dunnock. Then the juvies are just begging to be fed and parents are leaving them on their own to learn
Sorry guys, Perhaps I didn't make it clear.

I have watched fledgling /young adults for years and years, I know that they will for a while follow their parents about even tho they can feed themselves.

But this is entirely different behaviour. It does a single tweet call, hour upon hour, non stop all day.

It's not the same noise as baby birds in a nest and it's not the same behaviour that we have had lots of experience in hearing with other fledglings over the years.

It's constant, and we have watched it feed itself in between too!
Old Friday 21st July 2017, 08:01   #6
MTem

As has been said this sounds like a begging call. All young birds will do this, but with considerable variation in expectation and duration. Just like some young tits never have what it takes to leave the nest hole and stay inside and starve to death, it seems here we have an individual that wants as much attention from its parents that it can get. Evolutionary variation that leads to changes by natural selection in some sense I suppose.

He should get the message that it's not working that well and give up in a day or two!
Mick

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: