• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (6 Viewers)

Birding Flashes

The gull roost was slow to build up but once it started it continued until dark.
It appears that the BHG are not feeding as locally this year , as many large groups come in high from the south as do the large gulls...but they always did so.
This lack of local feeding is probably the reason for lower than normal roosting numbers of BHG and it's the first autumn that they have been outnumbered by 'large' gulls.
The gull roost was so extensive tonight that it covered the whole of the 'central' area half of the 1st flash and mist of the 2nd Flash. The 3rd flash was full of geese , so there wasittle space for duck and waders. There were at least 4 Yellow legged gulls amongst the gulls and herring gulls were in the majority with about 55% of the large gulls.
Species Count FLASHES:
Teal 30. Shoveler 45. Greylag 50+ canadas 300+. Coot 27
Green sand 2. Lapwing 150. Curlew 13.
Yellow legged gull 4. Common gull 2 (ad+1st w). BHG 1400. Herring 1200. LBBG 1100.
Stock dove 30. Jackdaw 180.
Pied wag 12. Starling 20 circling before roosting closeby.

Last edited:
The Roost

A few record shots of last nights roost. Thanks Dave and John for the help with the tricky gulls!:t::t:

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 135
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 56
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 61
Today's highlights:

MOORS:
Yellow Legged Gull (3 ad). Arrived in a 30 min period, early afternoon. See Flashes.
Ruff (2). Commuting from the Flashes.
Black Tailed Godwit (1)
Snipe (10)-----------------Little Egret (3)
Wigeon (5)----------------Gadwall (3)
Shoveler (39)-------------Teal (25)
Mute Swan (24)-----------Kestrel
Sparrowhawk--------------Coal Tit. At west hide feeding station.
Cormorant (12)------------Mistle Thrush

FLASHES:
Yellow Legged Gull ( 4ad+1x3w)Two of the adults could be Moors birds.
Ruff (2)
Dunlin----------------------Snipe (1)
Lapwing (c130)------------Curlew (13)
Shoveler (22)--------------Teal (18)
Little Grebe (2)------------Meadow Pipit (4)
Raven (2)------------------Cetti's Warbler
Common Gull (1w)--------Herring Gull (c1000)
L B B Gull (c1000)---------Sparrowhawk (2)

NORTH MOORS:
Little Egret-----------------Little Grebe
Grey Wagtail

Des.

Forthcoming creation North Moors

We are planning a few additions to enhance and maximise the potential of the area around the New Moors.

The view Pic 1. shows the variation of habitat
open water, reed bed, bullrushes, grassland, dense rank vegetation (willowherb), bramble patches, thorn scrub various trees in a small wooded plantation.
The pics 2 and 3 highlight some of the management to be carried out in 2 weeks time.

Attachments

• diverse habitat DSCF0397.jpg
    diverse habitat DSCF0397.jpg
    707.2 KB · Views: 196
  • 7 work to be done during the winter DSCF0390.jpg
    7 work to be done during the winter DSCF0390.jpg
    703 KB · Views: 143
  • 6 proposed new channel  DSCF0405.jpg
    6 proposed new channel DSCF0405.jpg
    795.5 KB · Views: 216
The NM scrape 2015

The photos show how the view from the new hide would have looked in January 2015.
pic 1 shows how it looked before any work was carried out.
the other pics show how it looked afterwards.
The vegetation growth especially the reeds is phenomenal:t:.

Attachments

• . twitter SE scrape b4 DSCF0109 (2).jpg
    . twitter SE scrape b4 DSCF0109 (2).jpg
    552.9 KB · Views: 136
  • . twitter SE scrape DSCF4485.jpg
    . twitter SE scrape DSCF4485.jpg
    850.3 KB · Views: 203
  • 2. twitter SE scrape DSCF5017.jpg
    2. twitter SE scrape DSCF5017.jpg
    686 KB · Views: 134
  • 2015 view of NM scrape before new hide 2017 DSCF5021.jpg
    2015 view of NM scrape before new hide 2017 DSCF5021.jpg
    557.3 KB · Views: 170
We are planning a few additions to enhance and maximise the potential of the area around the New Moors.

The view Pic 1. shows the variation of habitat
open water, reed bed, bullrushes, grassland, dense rank vegetation (willowherb), bramble patches, thorn scrub various trees in a small wooded plantation.
The pics 2 and 3 highlight some of the management to be carried out in 2 weeks time.

looking good (actually - superb)

looking good (actually - superb)
Thanks Ivan, the Tuesday crew are all very enthusiastic and this gives us a chance to use all the skills gained over the last few years.
It will be a work in progress situation for a while, but I'm sure a memorable bird will turn up sooner or later;)B :) john.

The adult Lesser Black-backed Gull bearing a Red Ring with three white alpha codes YUL on the left tarsus was present in the roost again last night. The coloured ring appeared damaged and the bird had problems standing. It walked or staggered legs apart. And is probably not long for this world. The Ringer Mike Marsh advises "it is a bird that was ringed as a chick (at Orfordness) on the Suffolk coast in 2000 and since then has been seen several times in the winter months in the Malaga region of southern of Spain. In 2004 it was found breeding in Worcester and there must be a good chance that it still does so. It is not uncommon for Suffolk LBBGulls reared in a “natural” coastal colony to move to an urban one but it is unusual for one to move as far away as Worcester. It is a pity that YUL is now looking poorly and will be interesting to see if it makes it down to Spain again this winter. A full list of its sightings are attached which I hope will be of interest."

Attachments

• P1070077.JPG
    P1070077.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 74
  • life-history YUL.xls
    36 KB · Views: 53
Do you think this was the same bird as the red ringed LBBG from last week John?

Edit: having just read the extensive and interesting history of the bird I see that you do!

Last edited:
Early morning at the Flashes Dave J reports:

2 Ruff, adult Yellow-legged Gull, 2 Common Gull (first winter & second winter), 1800+ LBB Gull, 500+ Herring Gull, 2500+ BH Gull, 12 Curlew

Today at MOORS

As DAVE J was on the Flashes I covered the Moors. Spending a 3 hours in the new hide at the North Moors (over 2 visits). Although I know the hide will never play host to any massive spectacular I think it will ( with patience) bring in a few surprises. There is a lot of scope for more tweaking and the area will be attractive to marshland birds in time. Today the usually secretive water rail and cetti's showed at times. Shoveler and teal appeared early afternoon and as the reeds extend along the causeway disturbance will hopefully decrease and encourage more birds during the daytime. The nearby scrub and woodland add another dimension to the experience . Also the openness of the North facing hide makes for good ' vis-migging opportunities and today redpoll, Redwing and a flock of linnets passed through. Many gulls, corvids, starling, finches and unidentified passerines also passed through and I'm sure in time something out of the ordinary will appear.

NORTH MOORS:
cormorant 2. mallard 4. Shoveler 9. Teal 2. Grey heron. Moorhen 5. Water rail 2. Peregrine. Buzzard 3. Herring Gull 5 over. Green woodpecker. Jay. Mistle thrush. Redwing 4. Cetti's 2. Goldcrest. Grey wag 2. Pied wag. Starling 50. Greenfinch 4. Goldfinch. Linnet 20. Chaffinch. Reed bunting 3.

MOORS:
Little grebe 3. Cormorant 5. Mute swan 22. Greylag 40+. Shoveler 40+. Teal 33. Wigeon 4. Gadwall pr. Tufted 15+. Green sand. Ruff 2. Curlew 1. Snipe 5. Blackwit. Collared dove 2. Mistle Thrush 3. Grey wag. Linnet 20+. Two groups of linnet totalling 40+ moved rapidly south and I would say they were in migration mode. Not witness this before and the direction of flight eould have tsken them down the 'valley' beyond the 3rd flash. This species is unusual on the Moors and with thousands seen at Portland I think the species is certainly on the move.

Last edited:
Dave J later had 2 Green Sand at the Moors Pool and a Yellowhammer (only the second sighting of the year) north over the Flashes towards the Sailing Pool

Selective updates from this morning - 2 Ruff and Black-tailed Godwit at the Moors Pool and 30 Redpoll at the Flashes

Last edited:
Do you think this was the same bird as the red ringed LBBG from last week John?

Edit: having just read the extensive and interesting history of the bird I see that you do!

Of interest, another bird from the same scheme (red BFJ, metal ring GF77352) has been seen a handful of times in Sandwell Valley. Per Mike Marsh the bird was ringed as a pulus at Orford Ness on 12th Jul 1997 was seen around the area through the summer and then disappeared. I found it on Swan Pool 14th Aug 2010, the first time it had been recorded since leaving the breeding ground. The bird disappeared again until I saw on 24th and 25th Dec 2016 and 27th Jan 2017. Where it gets to in the meantime is anybody's guess but would be interesting if it was found elsewhere in the region this winter.

Cheers,

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back