Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 12th October 2017, 22:01   #76
Larry Sweetland
Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresttwitcher View Post
What do they taste like?
Delicious when they finally get close enough to identify them! I should have ordered the "Low overhead" as the starter, not the dessert.
Old Saturday 14th October 2017, 21:40   #77
temmie

I assume you drove from tarapoto to tingo Maria? How was that drive?

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 15th October 2017, 14:33   #78
Larry Sweetland

Quote:
Originally Posted by temmie View Post
I assume you drove from tarapoto to tingo Maria? How was that drive?
8 hours in a combi van, setting off from Tarapoto at 3am to get much of the distance done before the roadworks start
Old Tuesday 17th October 2017, 15:24   #79
Larry Sweetland

Not part of ovenbird's route, but as it's northish Peru, we found a mistake in the Valqui book that cost us some time. To get to the site Jiron Ayacucho, at San Mateo on the central highway, note that the road Jiron Ayacucho is off to the right of the central highway if coming from Lima, not the left!
Old Wednesday 25th October 2017, 07:40   #80
simmojunior

Thanks for all the tips. We're off next week - can't wait. Anyone got any final tips?

In particular, where is the current best site for Little Inca Finch? It seems to change from trip reports.
Old Tuesday 7th November 2017, 21:16   #81
Larry Sweetland

Ovenbird, your PM inbox is full. How's the trip going?
Old Tuesday 7th November 2017, 22:59   #82
ovenbird43

Oh! I guess I'll need to clear my PM box sometime. I had just logged in to give a quick report!

I'm in Tarapoto now, flying back to Lima tonight having finished the northern part of my trip. Like you I've found the birding to be quite challenging - I suspect I've missed at least half my targets including perhaps more than half of the endemics (I don't care to do the math, it would just be depressing!). Most painful dip was Pale-billed Antpitta, heard-only despite a grueling, steep 15-mile hike (which turned out to be way overboard, local knowledge would have been key at this site!) including having to walk almost all the way back to Pomacochas from San Lorenzo before I picked up a lift.

But let's focus on the good - White-browed Antbird, Slaty-backed Forest-Falcon, and Rufous-crested Coquette at Wakanki, easy time with Marvelous Spatuetail including getting to see the male 4 times, Ochre-fronted and Rusty-tinged Antpittas at FAN, Cinnamon Screech-Owl, also Long-whiskered Owlet although views were not great - it was directly above us so I really only saw the bottom half, not the face! FAN was incredibly quiet but relentless effort turned up a few things, White-faced Solitaire, Inca Flycatcher, Uniform Antshrike, and Royal Sunangel. Pretty good at the Cordillera Escalera this morning despite morning fog, walking from the tunnel, had many mixed flocks and got great looks at lifer Curl-crested Aracari, and the Koepcke's Hermit was cooperative at the feeders. The guide took me to see a roosting Long-tailed Potoo. Very quiet at the waterfalls, no sign of pewees or any songbirds for that matter, but while I was waiting for a lift the White-collared and White-tipped Swifts put on an incredible show.

I'll eventually get around to writing a proper trip report with plenty of details - the good, the bad, and photos. Off Paracas tomorrow!
Old Friday 10th November 2017, 22:35   #83
Xenospiza
Undescribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovenbird43 View Post
Most painful dip was Pale-billed Antpitta, heard-only despite a grueling, steep 15-mile hike (which turned out to be way overboard, local knowledge would have been key at this site!)
That's a shame – you should have checked observado where I put in an exact location. A reminder for all others to use this resource as well.
Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 10:21   #84
simmojunior

Our trip is going pretty well (I've seen 321 species so far in 9 days) though as you say birding is pretty challenging. Highlights include Plumbeous Euphonia yesterday on ridge after tunnel; Slaty Finch, Johnson's Tody-Tyrant and Chestnut Antpitta at Owlet Lodge; Zone-tailed Hawk, Marañon Crescentchest and Marañon Spinetail at Last Juntas; Long-whiskered Owlet, Royal Sunangel, Cinnamon Screech Owl and both Antpittas at FAN.

Also, it is not currently possible to drive to Quebrada Limon in a hire car. We were forced to abandon and arrange a truck for next day where we got thoroughly ripped off but had little choice. Was great birding when we got there including Guans, Whooping Motmot & One-coloured Becard. All my lists are on ebird if anyone is interested.
Old Saturday 18th November 2017, 17:14   #85
Larry Sweetland

Looking forward to your reports Abby and Simmo, especially as I don't think it's worth me writing one except to keep a personal record, and to put people off trying to do Peru with a young child, not enough prep, and not using playback! Just come up from the bottom of Manu rd, where did pretty badly. Chuffed with great views of Pale-winged Trumpeter though, and shouldn't grumble with the trip list on about 560 so far. Decided to come home for Xmas. Missing home like I've never done before. Also finally come to the realisation that my eye-sight is getting worse, my reactions getting slower, and my fitness not up to the terrain any more! Think my birding days are numbered
Old Saturday 18th November 2017, 23:54   #86
foresttwitcher

Blimey, Larry, don't talk like that - it must have been a bad day! A trip list of 560 sounds pretty good to me and I for one would like to read your trip report.

Can't see the birds for the trees!
Old Sunday 19th November 2017, 00:37   #87
Larry Sweetland

[quote=foresttwitcher;364518 A trip list of 560 sounds pretty good to me [/QUOTE]
Nah, you can do that in less than 24hrs these days with species recognition and location
droids, drones and helicopters :)
Old Yesterday, 00:35   #88
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Sweetland View Post
Looking forward to your reports Abby and Simmo, especially as I don't think it's worth me writing one except to keep a personal record, and to put people off trying to do Peru with a young child, not enough prep, and not using playback! Just come up from the bottom of Manu rd, where did pretty badly. Chuffed with great views of Pale-winged Trumpeter though, and shouldn't grumble with the trip list on about 560 so far. Decided to come home for Xmas. Missing home like I've never done before. Also finally come to the realisation that my eye-sight is getting worse, my reactions getting slower, and my fitness not up to the terrain any more! Think my birding days are numbered
Then the rest of us should do this

Niels

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: