• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

finally 150 ! (1 Viewer)

stephennj

What can I say , I've only just begun but this took almost 4 years ,I wish I could travel more.
147 American Kestrel
148 Black-Throated Blue warbler
149 Ovenbird
150 Ruddy Duck
151 Swamp Sparrow

Good going. I also caught one of those last ovenbirds in our area. And 150 is still my goal by the end of this year. Will require two local (one hour drive) trips with group of experts.

It's not the Quantity.
It's not the Quality.
It's the enjoyment you get out of making the list that counts.
151 is OK. All the best for the next 150 John.

John N said:
It's not the Quantity.
It's not the Quality.
It's the enjoyment you get out of making the list that counts.
151 is OK. All the best for the next 150 John.

Hi all on this thread,

Isn't it good to get something special as a landmark species though? Of course, the longer a list gets, then the chances are that every landmark bird will be something special but that is not so easy in the early days. My best was No. 200 Great Northern Diver (Common loon for our American friends) in Caernarfon harbour wiht special thinks to Dr Richard Arnold (now retired but I am told, living in the Bournemouth area - Richard, if you read this, please get in touch). It is now 15 years since that landmark and I have not reached 250 yet (although I recently reviewed my list and it seems I am closer than I thought) because I have slowed down on listing and gone back to simple birding with no frills. No moral comment, I just happen to like it that way and I enjoy helping newcomers more and building their enthusiasm.

Ian

I agree Ian, Its great to get a "special bird" as a landmark species. I will always remember my 150th. It was a Bittern, but I have still got to get my 200th.

Congratulations! It's always a great feeling to hit one of those milestones. I got 150 not too far back, and I'm still hoping for 200 by the end of the year. Not so sure I'll make it, as I've been stuck on 191 for a month now, and not getting many birding opportunities lately.

It sounds like you're at a really good pace. I've been fortunate to have had some travel opportunities through my job, which has allowed me to take an occasional short bird outing. For example, a recent working trip to Idaho got me 26 new species. These have really helped on my list, which represents just under 3 years of birding.

Keep at it, and again, congratulations!

congratulations Stephen.A nice wrap up fivesome.I got my 150th bird last year at Cape May.i don't remember which out of the 15 I picked up it was.I will always recall Jersey as a great place to go a-birding.
Sam

Thanks all for the teriffic comments and encouragement!
Yes Samuel this is a area for great birding ,especially during the migrations of course.My favorite local patches are Cape May ,Sandy Hook,Brigantine and the Chimney Rock Hawk Watch which is the closest to me.Brigantine has gotten me more Lifers and year birds than anywhere else. The most bug bites too!
I can't wait to see what #200 will be,maybe next year about this time I will get it .
-happy birding !

Hi Stephen
Only just seen this thread. My 100th British bird was a tawny owl - first owl (in wild) ever, so that was something really special. I've slowly crept up to 144 on my British list, which I started making in March this year. A few new ones have been added lately as migrating birds fly through or return for the winter. Not sure if I'll make the 150 though this year. The birds we saw when living in Ohio were not 'formally recorded' which was a shame - but I wasn't that organised then. Still think most of your birds are prettier though!
Hubby went to the Cape May Autumn Bird Weekend - still tormenting me with tales of his wonderful time there. Did you go, Stephen?
Jampots

Hi Jam,
I went in 2002 and in 2003, and it was neat to see so many birders and all the hotels were booked solid with them.I didn't go this year but I definitely got some feild time during the migration in other spots. as for European birds - I went to Germany and Switzerland for 2 months in 1991 but I wasn't a birder back then.Talk about a missed oppourtunity!!!
I would love to see the british goldfinch (the one with the red on his head) someday,the european kingfisher,those europeann robins and all those cool bee-eaters as well!

stephennj said:
I would love to see the british goldfinch (the one with the red on his head) someday,the european kingfisher,those europeann robins and all those cool bee-eaters as well!
Just had goldfinches return to the garden last week - so excited about them here. Often get a robin in the garden too - so much cuter that yours, hey! Kingfisher is probably the only bird that definitely beats America on the colourful stakes. Had superb views of one the other day perched on a post right outside a birdhide. Never seen bee-eaters. Still think cardinals are the best (even though I'm a Reds fan!!)
Jampots

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back