• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ravelli AVTP Tripod (budget tripod) (1 Viewer)

CalvinFold

Since I see quite a huge range between the high-end digiscopers and the newbies wanting a budget approach, I figured I'd offer this mini-review for the budget-minded:

I've been working with a Velbon S-6000 hand-me-down from a photographer friend I know. A great tripod overall, actually quite like it for general use. But it wasn't quite up to snuff for digiscoping: I needed a sandbag suspended from the cross-supports to stabilize it for long zooms, and it was tricky to use a heavy scope on it.

So based on information from this site, I was looking for a budget scope that could hand 15+ lbs. of weight on the head, and was "fluid drag."

Based on Amazon.com reviews, I picked-up the Ravelli AVTP (note the "P"...apparently the "AVT" is not nearly as nice). It's listed as "Ravelii AVTP Professional 75mm Video Camera Tripod with Fluid Drag Head."

The reviews were spot-on: it can handle the weight (up to 20-25 lbs. at the head, if I recall), it is a little snug on the tilt but wonderfully smooth on the pan, and is heavy (a complaint by reviewers, but in my case, a good feature). Very adjustable, easy to deploy, easy to level, easy to lock. Very easy to lock-down before taking a photo.

My first time out with it was night-and-day with the Velbon. For the money, it's an excellent tripod.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back