• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Itinerary Sept/Oct 2014 and some questions (1 Viewer)

PeterBird

Netherlands
After some health problems it now looks as if we are definitely going to do another trip to South Africa in September. Four weeks, no less! We have decided on this itinerary and already booked the accommodation:
- Dullstroom
- Gomo Gomo in Klaserie
- Bateleur Bushveld camp in Kruger
- Pafuri River Camp, just outside Pafuri Gate
- Shiluvari Lodge in the Soutpansberg area
- Mapungubwe
- Wild at Tul in Southern Botswana
- Polokwane (stopover)
- Marakele and then back to Johannesburg
This covers some areas we've never been to, so we're very much looking forward to the trip.
If anybody has tips regarding the birding in one of these locations, I'd be grateful.
We've book the services of a local guide in the Soutpansberg area, but we're still looking for someone to guide us for a day in Dullstroom. I haven't been able to find any nameson the internet yet.
We're a little worried about our trip from Gomo Gomo to the Bateleur Bushcamp. Our plan is to leave after the morning game drive, so around 9.30, and do some shopping in Phalaborwa for the self-catering camp, but it seems especially the trip through Kruger from Phalaborwa gate might take too long to safely reach the camp gate, which closes at 18:00 hours. In km the total journey is only 252, but my navigation software comes up with 7:50 hrs. Anybody have a view on that?
Thanks for any replies!
Peter

Last edited:
We're a little worried about our trip from Gomo Gomo to the Bateleur Bushcamp. Our plan is to leave after the morning game drive, so around 9.30, and do some shopping in Phalaborwa for the self-catering camp, but it seems especially the trip through Kruger from Phalaborwa gate might take too long to safely reach the camp gate, which closes at 18:00 hours. In km it's only 252, but my navigation software comes up with 7:50 hrs. Anybody have a view on that?
Thanks for any replies!
Peter

Hi Peter

I would allow as much time as possible to do your shopping, drive to Phalaborwa then drive the 252 km to Bateleur. The smaller roads outside Kruger can be very slow due to livestock, people, taxis and trucks. When I was there in 2012 a series of protests and a fire delayed things further!

Once you're in Kruger there is a strict 50km speed limit on the tar roads. The fact you will want to stop every few minutes to see something will greatly add to your journey time, as will animals in the road and traffic jams (caused by vehicles blocking the road as they try to get views of a Lion or Leopard).

It's no fun racing against the clock trying to make your camp before curfew, especially with so much to see. Even if you make a point of not stopping for wildlife, a herd of elephants in the road can add 30 minutes to your journey.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic but I've tried to make similar journeys myself in a limited time and I've always regretted it.

Thanks for the input, Mike. In fact the whole journey is 252km (Gomo Gomo-Phalaborwa 115 and Palaborwa Bateleur 137), but even so you are confirming my worries. Of course we would not stop ourselves for any sighting on the road (we have several more days in the park) but, as you stated, other cars, or animals might block the road. The official distances table of SAN parks states the time between Phalaborwa and Bateleur (or in fact Shingwedzi, which is similar) as 5:30. Perhaps it would be best to skip the morning game drive in Gomo Gomo, although that would be a shame
Peter

Peter, Mike is quite correct about those roads, but if you go in through Palaborwa, you will also have a serious time problem. We drove up outside the park from Numbi to Palaborwa on 1st June and it took us around 4 - 5 hours. You could drive down from Phalaborwa to Paul Kruger gate and you would then only have about 50km to travel in the park to Jocks. This would actually be faster than coming down through the park in my view, but a seven hour journey when you only leave Gomo Gomo after 10.00, then have to shop . . . . You are pushing it either way. Can you not miss out that morning game drive - not sure how many nights you are staying there, but I hope its more than one - have a list already prepared and divided between the shoppers and then shoot down outside the park? And why are you shopping at Phalaborwa? Is GomoGomo not closer to Hoedspruit? Then Hoedspriut is closer to the Orpen gate. That would be far more doable in terms of travelling through the park, provided you did not allow yourself to become distracted by sightings en-route.

Sal, you may be getting Bateleur mixed up with Biyamiti? Bateleur is in the north close to Shingwedzi Camp.
Peter, I differ a little in opinion. I dont think you will have a problem reaching Bateleur. Just ensure that you have all your luggage packed and ready before you go on your morning drive from Gomo Gomo. It may also be wise to settle any bills the night before. This can often be a delay on the morning.
You can then shop either in Hoedspruit or Phalaborwa. The road between the two towns is in good shape so that should be fine. The road from Phalaborwa to Mopani is not usually the most productive road when it comes to game viewing, so there shouldnt be any hold-ups along the way. There is also far less traffic in this region when compared to further south in the park. From Mopani to Bateleur you have mostly tarred road, until your turn-off to Red Rocks and Bateleur. This section is the nicest of the entire drive and here you can take it a little slower and hopefully find some nice animals on the road. If you are a few minutes late it wont be a problem, but its always good to try and be on time.
Regarding a bird guide for the Dullstroom area. I may be able to guide you if you can give me an exact date.
Please feel free to send me an email or PVT message and I will get back to you.
Happy to help with any other questions or advice you may need.

Thanks Sal and Safariranger for the detailed replies! It seems that Hoedspruit is a good alternative for the shopping.
#Sal: I think Safariranger may be right about you having a different camp in mind. As far as I can see Phalaborwa is the logical gate for the Bateleur Bushveld camp, which is north from there.
#Safariranger: It is good to hear that the drive may be quite feasible. We'll keep in mind to settle bills etc. the night before. I'll mail you about your guiding suggestion, sounds interesting!
Again, thank you both for taking the time to reply. Much appreciatec!
Peter

You are quite right; I don't know why, (how is it possible?!) but i read it as Jocks . . . . Sorry about that. I agree with safariranger, you should not have a problem with this route through the park. We were up at Red Rocks a couple of weeks ago and the road was in fairly good condition.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back