• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Australia Itinerary (1 Viewer)

ed.chef

Hello
My wife and I ares considering a major birding trip to Australia either at the end of next year or the beginning of 2016
I have already identified a few areas that we cannot miss :- Tasmania , Queensland (up to Cairns) or beyond and possibly the Darwin area
has anyone anyone any further suggestions as to 'must do' places please?
We may try to drive to most places and only fly to the furthest
I have much more research to do but a few pointers would be most helpful
Thanks
Ed
Shropshire
England

I've only spent any time in Queensland (Brisbane 3 times) and a bit in NT this summer but I'd say the Brisbane area and Cairns area are essential (as you probably know). While I enjoyed Darwin and Kakadu this summer, birding there was harder work than Brisbane and Cairns and I'd certainly recommend Cairns over Darwin any day of the week if you have to make a choice for some tropical birding. Check out the excellent new site guide by Tim Dolby and Rohan Clarke, Finding Australian Birds and also have a look at e-Bird which gives you a brilliant idea of where to see your target species.

Unlike many parts of the world, the majority of the birds of aus can be seen by simply driving up and down and through it without having to seek out tiny weeny little patches of what's left. Go dude X. Most of it can be done in a 2 wheel drive/van vehicle without the need of guides etc. Aus is brilliant , go for it!

Last edited:
More years ago than I care to remember I did the following - Week from Darwin by Camper van to Kakadu, fly to Alice, three days Ayres Rock etc, fly to Melbourne, 1 week in Mallee, Philip Island etc, fly to Brisbane, about 20 days taking in Lamington, Atherton Tableland, Barrier Reef etc, fly to Perth - campervan for a week (this bit wasn't long enough!) Happy to fill in any useful details. Kelvin

G'day Ed, I've birded with and helped out a number of other BF members over the years with Cairns birding, so if you want more info on what's about in the Cairns area and where to go, just drop me a PM. Happy to help!:t:

Cairns is the place to head for the greatest variety of relatively easy birding but as others say, there's so much you can pick up travelling around the country. I am heading off to Tassie in the morning and will probably do a trip report on here if it goes well. Check out other trip reports here as well; there's heaps.

Indeed, I was one of the BF members Chowchilla refers to, we did a manic day together on the Atherton Tablelands in March this year. Something like 128 species were recorded. I also (like Edward) was able to spend a few days in western Brisbane - picked up a number of excellent species there too!

The other place that's should be on your itinerary is the Water Treatment works at Werribee west of Melbourne - a very big area but amazing for wetland-type birds.

Thank you chaps - quite a few good ideas to start on already
Since both my wife and I will be retired by the time we go, time will not be an issue and surprisingly my wife has mentioned the possibility of three months!
We thought that hiring a camper van might be good as we can stay as long as we like at any good site.
Can tourists gain access to Weribee - I gather a permit and a key has to be got?
Anyway back to surfing for the time being
Thanks again
Ed

The drive from Melbourne (Werribee sewage works + other) to Adelaide via Deniliquin (Phil Myers plains wanderer trip) partly going along the Murray river and part through the unique Mallee I thought was spectacular.

Also obviously Cairns and Atherton tablelands is phenomenal - I stayed at a # of places there - the best being Cassowary House but also kingfisher lodge and chambers (inc sugar gliders) were both excellent.

IMO down a peg but still good: Bribsane (mainly Lamington) and Sydney (Barren Grounds etc) and there is a pelagic out of Wollongong

Oh and yep you needed to get a key for Werribee when I went but it was straight forward. Birding was terrific when I was there even though I missed the orange-bellied parrots

Last edited:
If you end up mostly doing a coastal route on the east side of the country, there are a couple of not too far inland sites to see some more of the dry country birds, that are easy to get to in a 2WD vehicle. Particularly good ones are Capertee Valley inland from Sydney, Sundown NP further inland from Lammington NP, and a dam not too far inland from Cairns with Budgies etc (can't remember the name, Chowie hopefully knows where I mean and can advise?!)

He never took me there! ;):t:

well, when I say not too far, I mean in Aussie terms, not something you could fit in before breakfast! You'd need to overnight there.

just found it on post #302 of our trip report, Cumberland dam 16km west of Georgetown: http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1284060&postcount=302. Note there's an id mistake in the linked post. The 'Orange Chat' seen further on was actually a Yellow Chat (a rarer bird, but one known to occur in that area), and I only realised this for sure after having seen both species in WA much later in the trip.

lots more gen for Aussie road trips on that thread too Ed :t:

Last edited:
He never took me there! ;):t:
As Larry says it was Cumberland Dam about 5 hours west of Cairns with quite a different assemblage of birds from the Tablelands, including some Top End species coming in.

I went there about five year ago this month and had Budgies as well as a heap of other good birds. September was the perfect time as there was nest building going on and it wasn't too hot.

G'day Ed, I've birded with and helped out a number of other BF members over the years with Cairns birding, so if you want more info on what's about in the Cairns area and where to go, just drop me a PM. Happy to help!:t:

Got myself a 'Where to watch Birds in Australia' now - WOW! - don't know where to start.
Is it relatively easy to drive up to Cape York or would be 4WD be required?
I would love to see Palm Cockatoo - do I have go right up north?
My wife is now talking about the possibility of making it a three month trip so we have loads of time to get anywhere - i just need to work out an itinerary and when the best time of year is in a particular area - Oh - and can we afford it!

Thanks agin for information sent so far - i am reading it all
ED

In three months of birding Ed you'll be able to see a ton of birds if you keep on moving. Get your gen sussed for certain areas though as you can miss a lot if you aren't quite in the right place for certain species. Plenty of other wildlife, sights and spectacles to be had as well of course.

To get up to Cape York is a bit of an expedition and whilst I know people who've done the Iron Ranges without 4WD I wouldn't recommend it, especially in the Wet. Bear in mind that distances are huge as well. Cape York can't be done in just a couple of days.

In three months of birding Ed you'll be able to see a ton of birds if you keep on moving. Get your gen sussed for certain areas though as you can miss a lot if you aren't quite in the right place for certain species. Plenty of other wildlife, sights and spectacles to be had as well of course.

To get up to Cape York is a bit of an expedition and whilst I know people who've done the Iron Ranges without 4WD I wouldn't recommend it, especially in the Wet. Bear in mind that distances are huge as well. Cape York can't be done in just a couple of days.

OK Chowchilla - again, Thanks
You would certainly laugh if you could hear the sort of comment my wife is making
"If we are driving from Cairns to Darwin we can just pop down to Alice Springs on the way" We are getting to grips with it now though! More questions later no doubt
Thanks
Ed

Ed, I am also planning a major trip to Australia around the same time as you. I plan to purchase a camper van and then sell it again when I leave. Better than renting. I have done this before in New Zealand and other places and have had good luck with it. Perhaps we can meet up if we are travelling around at the same time.

OK Chowchilla - again, Thanks
You would certainly laugh if you could hear the sort of comment my wife is making
"If we are driving from Cairns to Darwin we can just pop down to Alice Springs on the way" We are getting to grips with it now though! More questions later no doubt
Thanks
Ed

My brother (lives in Brisbane) once met a British couple who had a 4-day stopover in Australia on their way to New Zealand. They told him that they had hired a car and were planning to do the circuit Brisbane-Cairns-Alice Springs-Brisbane in those 4 days. They'd even booked hotels.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back