• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (2 Viewers)

Now back In the thunder and lightning of Scotland,after a fantastic fortnight on the Island.I didn't manage to get out birding as much as usual,due to my wife recovering from a knee operation but many thanks to the posters on here and It was lovely to speak to visiting birders when I did get out and about.

Last but certainly not least,a BIG thanks to Mike Montier.An unsung hero for us "Brit Birders" visiting Mallorca.

Hi HartleyPoole, Maristany is also known as Tucan Marsh, it can be found on the road from Alcudia to Pollensa. Going from the main reserve at Albufera, travel past most of the shops and roundabouts until you reach a roundabout by Burger King. Go straight on and very soon you will see Lidl. There is a small track down the side of the supermarket which takes you to the marsh. It's really good at the moment because it's drying out and there is lots of exposed mud. There is a big roost of Night Heron and mixed egrets including the egretta gularis, a big rarity here. Two Ruddy shelducks too, another rarity. It's a great little reserve. There are much better details earlier in this thread rather than my old fashioned ones. Good luck, it's very hot but early mornings are best, especially at Maristany because the roosting birds disperse soon after dawn. Mike

Hi Doody. It's thanks to you that we were all alerted to the possible Ruppell's Vulture. I notified as many people as possible and luckily our resident raptor man saw it going overhead. There is little doubt that it is the real deal despite some early scepticism. I.e. Confusion with Griffon. Let's just hope someone gets a photo soon. Thanks for posting here, it was a great help.
I have also been birding over fifty years although you wouldn't think it sometimes. I keep notes which are great to look back on, especially the 80's and 90's when I was out and about so much. These days I have a camera, it's very hard getting a single observer record accepted without a record shot. Shame your bird was so distant, often the way sadly.All the best, Mike

Hi Mike,

That`s brilliant, a perfect result. Well not quite perfect for me & the bird will remain on my list of “possibles” [subject to my concience]. I will never learn. I knew of the report of 2nd June as regards the possible Ruppell`s yet still I failed to take field notes & I was more interested at the time unbelievably in seeing a Moltoni`s [concentrating closer to the ground rather than high in the sky]. I like to think I have a good eye for detail & memory to record them [part of my job as an architect] but there is always a sneaking doubt that I`ve mixed up features from different individuals. However on this occasion there was only one unusual bird. I think it was you who referred to the different jizz of Ruppells. My bird banked showing its largely dark underparts & what I thought was a particularly short tail compared to the Griffons. Your description “compact” registered. Anyway thanks for your kind comments

Thanks doody, I think it was Barred Wobbler who gave such great comparisons on Ruppell's v Griffon, very good they were too. We all now know what to look for, i.e. More compact, shorter tail etc. I look forward to that photo...
Mike

Hi HartleyPoole, Maristany is also known as Tucan Marsh, it can be found on the road from Alcudia to Pollensa. Going from the main reserve at Albufera, travel past most of the shops and roundabouts until you reach a roundabout by Burger King. Go straight on and very soon you will see Lidl. There is a small track down the side of the supermarket which takes you to the marsh. It's really good at the moment because it's drying out and there is lots of exposed mud. There is a big roost of Night Heron and mixed egrets including the egretta gularis, a big rarity here. Two Ruddy shelducks too, another rarity. It's a great little reserve. There are much better details earlier in this thread rather than my old fashioned ones. Good luck, it's very hot but early mornings are best, especially at Maristany because the roosting birds disperse soon after dawn. Mike

Perfect, spotted it. Yes I will be an early bird visitor despite staying near Palma, unimpressed with pending heat and the time of visit but after 6 hours solid rain in North East England, it will be welcome.

I said I would give the latest figures for the health of the Griffon Vulture population here in Mallorca. The details for 2016 are as follows: 15 pairs, 14 nests and a minimum of 8 young hatched.
The influx in 2008 involved, I believe, over 60 birds, the maximum seen together has been 52.
They started reproducing in 2012.
I believe some birds left the Island but I'm not sure how many. It seems though, the population here is now well established and resident. It's great having a healthy number of birds which seem to thrive in the Tramuntana along side the Black Vulture.
The only mystery is why there are so few Egyptian vultures here when Menorca has such a good number.
Mike

At the presentation of the Annual report there was a very interesting talk on the cetaceans of the Balearic Islands.
Apparently, nine species can be seen, four species of Dolphin can occur, Bottle-nosed, Short-beaked common, Striped and Risso's.
Orca have been sighted too along with Sperm whale and Cuvier's beaked whale. Those were the seven species that occurred in 2016.
I had better take a closer look at all those Dolphins I see breaching the surface although I'm sure they were nearly all Bottle-nosed.
Sightings came from all around Mallorca with no apparent bias towards any particular site. All records would be appreciated and I can pass them on to the recorder. Mike

Last edited:
Also of great interest was a paper by Maties regarding the preferred breeding conditions of the Balearic Warbler.
A large area of coastal scrub near Son Real in the north was razed to the ground by fire in 1981.
The area was monitored over the following years. Balearic Warbler very soon recolonised the area and increased in number year on year, reaching levels never recorded before on the Island.
However, after fifteen years, numbers began to decline and are now 64% lower and are still in decline.
It is clear therefore, that Balearic warblers thrive in low scrub and are rarely seen in vegetation over knee-high.
A fascinating insight into the breeding conditions needed for this much sought-after and delightful little scrub Warbler. Many thanks go to Maties for his research. Mike

An evening seawatch from my local lighthouse produced over 80 Scopoli's shearwaters. Nothing else out there at all. All very quiet around Mondrago, just waiting for those autumn migrants now. Mike

What beautiful birds! I am going out on a boat on Monday to look for dolphins. Last year on a boat trip to Ibiza there were many Storm Petrels but I haven't seen one yet this year.
Otherwise, it's all very quiet. Last August we had a bonanza with some great waders, raptors and Slender-billed gulls. Let's hope this August is as good. Terribly hot at the moment though. Mike.

The south is always better during the autumn. Firstly, the raptor migration at Cap de Ses Salines can be spectacular as previously mentioned.
A report of 47 Wood sandpipers from Salobrar de Campos last week and a Mediterranean Gull yesterday at the salt pans, Colonia Sant Jordi. This site is also a good for Slender-billed Gull.
Lots more to come over the following couple of months. Mike

Ruppels vulture

Unexpectedly, in a small lighthouse point of Iceland, I met a German birdwatcher (Lorenz Müller) who had been in Majorca and that he thought had seeing a Ruppel Vulture the summer of 2016 in Cuber.

He had done a photo of the bird, and although at first moment we thought it was a possible Rüppell, finally appears that it is a griffon, and that will probably be a couple of these birds by the sierra de Tramuntana.

I hope finally we are gradually clarifying the enigma of whether there is or there isn't a Ruppel's vulture in Mallorca.

What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_5368.JPG
    IMG_5368.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 112
Thanks Pep, very interesting and I hope others comment. I am looking at post 1024 by Barred Wobbler. There is a direct comparison between Griffon and Ruppell's. The Ruppell's is more compact with shorter "fingers", smaller head and shorter tail. Looking at a single bird is more difficult but your photo seems to fit Griffon much better. It will be interesting to see what others think. In the meantime I am going to read Dick Forsman's excellent raptor bible! Mike

A short visit to the salt pans at Salobrar de Campos. Despite being seven o'clock in the evening it was still 38.5 degrees, far too sweaty for walking. About 20 Greater Flamingoes, over 120 Avocets, 80 Black-winged stilts, 1Little stint, 2 Curlew, 1 Greenshank, 2 Little ringed Plover and 2 Marsh Harrier. Mike

On the Vulture debate, Forsman doesn't mention much about size, head or tail, just that Ruppell's is slightly smaller. The diagnostic features are that they are darker overall and lacking the striking contrast between dark and mustard coloured underwing. The single most important feature though is the "gleaming white line along the forewing." Over to the experts then. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back