• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should i Buy leica or Swarovski ? (1 Viewer)

I have the 8x42 version of the Leica Geovid (new version, with Perger prisms) and find it outstanding. The rangefinder goes clearly beyond the stated 1800m, I have made measurements of 2000m and more. Optics are extremely bright, and thanks to the "banana" shaped binocular tubes (shape due to the Perger prisms), holding the bino is more relaxed than with many other binos I know. The only thing I could critisize is the display of the rangefinder (seen when observing through the right eyepiece), this could ideally be a bit brighter.

I have the 8x56 Leica. In my opinion it offers the best view of the 3 Leica models, but I'll concede that the field of view is a bit narrow.

I'd say that the integrated ballistics function is a plus, but I think the glass on the 8x42 Swarovski is better (certainly brighter) than the Leica 8x42. The Leica 10x42 is not a patch on the EL 10x50 but that is perhaps not a fair comparison and also has no rangefinder. The Leica eye cups are also larger than on the Swarovski, so one may suit you better than the other, especially towards the minimum inter-pupillary settings.

Overall, I like the big Leica, but I think that if Swarovski had an integrated ballistics solver and a 50/56mm version I would have gone that route. With that in mind I would wait a couple of months to see what if anything Swarovski announces at IWA/SHOT first.

Last edited:
I have a second generation Leica Geovid 10X42 I purchased...probably in 2004??? To say it has been used is an understatement. It was my constant companion on many...we'll say trips to Texas, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Ontario, and Saskatchewan. I used it in place of a binocular/rangefinder duo that I used for many years prior. Without question faultless performance in every condition and every temperature imaginable. One of the best purchases I've ever made. There is no doubt I'd re-purchase. No need for me to re-purchase as this one still works as new. 100% endorsement for a new Geovid!

Attachments

• IMG_34431.JPG
    IMG_34431.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 198
I've had great luck with Leica ranging equipment. I don't have any experience with Swarovski.

I think you can find some deals now on the Leica Geovids under $2500

I think that the higher end leica, SW, and zeiss are more or less equal;
and most of us would be happy with either.
But there are differences which tend to appeal to each of us.
You need to see/feel/observe and decide which YOU like best.

edj

I'm not so sure when it comes to rangefinder binoculars. It really boils down to this:

Get the Leica HD-B if you want a rangefinder with ballistics solver...

Get the Swarovski (or Leica HD-R) if you just want the rangefinder... (bearing in mind that any new Swarovski will surely (no idea when) include a ballistic solver to rival the Leica HD-B which is eating into its market rapidly; and the used market will strongly favour the HD-B over the HD-R for residual value).

Get the Zeiss Victory RF if... ok I can't think of a good reason to get that one over the Leica or Swarovski now :(

Otherwise, Vortex have just released a rangefinder binocular at a very competitive price, but I don't know much about it.

Or if you are into 'tactical' applications, look at Vectronix...

xsolms, post 1,
I have published a test of rangefinder binoculars on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor, google House of Outdoor, go to "Verrekijkers" and "Verrekijkers testen en vergelijken"and scroll through the list you will find it. It is in Dutch, but that should not be a problem, since that is a very easy language.
Leica and Swarovski score better than Zeiss, but I expect Zeiss to come with new rangefinders soon (it is in the air, since the present ones are already for quite a while on the market).
Gijs van Ginkel

My 2 cents:

There's a good side buying the rangefinder as a separate product
(rather than in a single product/combo with the Binos)...

If you have an issue with it, you can ship it for repair, and still use your Binos.
Binos and Rangefinder are products getting regular "upgrades" via new products.
So if, at some point, you want to get the latest binos/rangefinder, you can get them
without having to wait for a new Rangefinder Binos combo.

Hi,

Agree with Rob. I am also of the idea a binocular AND a separate range finder. I like the Best possible view with a binocular, still not available (to me) in a Rangefinder Binocular. And is best to have both in case a failure of a RF bino. In some cases will left a user without both functions.

Hi,

Agree with Rob. I am also of the idea a binocular AND a separate range finder. I like the Best possible view with a binocular, still not available (to me) in a Rangefinder Binocular. And is best to have both in case a failure of a RF bino. In some cases will left a user without both functions.

I've had extensive experience with both. The downside of the separate rangefinder, binocular system is that it's not always easy to relocate the object seen through the bin. The upside of course is that you can use a lighter binocular such as an 8x32 with a separate rangefinder.

However, I sold my Leica 1600B, Zeiss 10x42 HT and Swaro SV 8x32 and now use an EL Range 10x42. So far so good.

I recently had cataract surgery on both eyes and my vision is 6/6; the best it's ever been. I cannot find the slightest difference optically between my Swarovski EL Range and my friends SV 8.5x42 or SV 10x42 apart from the flat field of the latter two, which I don't find an advantage anyway. They are all razor sharp with very little to CA and plenty bright enough for my use.

I like the Leica HD-B too. However it's quite a bit heavier and larger than the Swaro EL Range. The EL Range doesn't have a ballistic program although it has the very useful angle compensation and will range up to 2,000 metres in ideal conditions, instantly.

Hi,

I've had extensive experience with both. The downside of the separate rangefinder, binocular system is that it's not always easy to relocate the object seen through the bin. The upside of course is that you can use a lighter binocular such as an 8x32 with a separate rangefinder. However, I sold my Leica 1600B, Zeiss 10x42 HT and Swaro SV 8x32 and now use an EL Range 10x42. So far so good.

I recently had cataract surgery on both eyes and my vision is 6/6; the best it's ever been. I cannot find the slightest difference optically between my Swarovski EL Range and my friends SV 8.5x42 or SV 10x42 apart from the flat field of the latter two, which I don't find an advantage anyway. They are all razor sharp with very little to CA and plenty bright enough for my use.

I like the Leica HD-B too. However it's quite a bit heavier and larger than the Swaro EL Range. The EL Range doesn't have a ballistic program although it has the very useful angle compensation and will range up to 2,000 metres in ideal conditions, instantly.

Hi sako,

Good to know your experience. Thanks!! I have seen both, the Geovid HD-B and the EL Range. I agree they are the best today.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back