Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 13th November 2017, 15:23   #26
mayoayo

Gijs van Ginkel all posts

We know that Swarovski will fix the scopes ,too bad they cant do it locally and the issue is only addressed in Austria with three months turn around..You were lucky that the Dodge was serviced in California and not sent to Detroit to be fixed..
There are all kinds of analogies that would have made more sense that your car story..I dont see the point..maybe you should have posted in the wheelforum at the time,and see if other owners had a siimilar problem with their dodges,..As i said before a few users are reporting the same problem..everyone is entitled to draw their own conclussions from this fact and to post them..Being critical of those comments that question The design or patronizing members with comments like "lucky we are all perfect" makes obvious that you are a proud defender of the brand and model,and i am sure you have your reasons..I personally entered the thread to try and offer a humble solution maybe,If it was anything that could be done from the owned side to release the button .You made a list of possible causes to this problem and I agree with you,..but one question..Are there any instructions included with the telescopes that advise the owners not to use the release pin frequently or that instructs them in how to perform the change of eyepiece in a correct manner...One of the seller points of the modular system was compactness and portability,so frequent use was reccomended.......
Old Monday 13th November 2017, 16:45   #27
Gijs van Ginkel

mayoayo, post 26,
I found my car analogy to the point, but we can of course disagree about that. We bought our car in Michigan by the way and we could have it fixed there but we refused. I agree that there are many analogies to be made and I have no objections to post them here if it is about telescopes or binoculars, but I am a bit allergic when far reaching conlusions are drawn on a few cases only, my shortcoming I realise. Actually I do not have an ATX and I am not looking for one either, I like much more compact and lightweight telescope and Swarovski does not have one that fits my needs, so there is nothing to defend. I work sometimes as a volunteer in a used items shop and one day somebody brought in a Swarovski EL 8x32, the eyecups were turned loose from the body and the owner was of the opinion that it was a worthless instrument and he told us that he would never buy a Swarovski again. A few turns and the instrument was repaired on the spot leaving the owner speechless.. and happy. If that had not occurred the owner would have been a walking negative advertisement for the brand.
In the course of the years I have investigated many binoculars and telescopes form a lot of brands and sometimes I stumbled upon rather strong shortcomings, but in my opinion the royal way is to speak to the company first that makes the binocular/telescope and discuss it. In the internet age that seems to change quickly.
I enjoy the exchange on Birdforum and sometimes I like to make jokes, so the matter does not become too serious.
Gijs van Ginkel
Old Tuesday 14th November 2017, 20:25   #28
forent

@ Gijs van Ginkel, post 20 onwards:

You are right, one should not draw general conclusions from a single case. But as mentioned actually there are four cases in this thread only.

Moreover and more important to me, in fact I in person own a Swarovski ATX 25-60x65 and the first thing I thought when I assembled the two parts was "Gosh, you shouldn't try it too often!" This was because I did not experience the smooth run and reassuring "Click" I got accustomed to of my Minolta, Contax, Canon cameras but to my surprise the impression of a somewhat inexact and fragile mechanism compared to these camera bayonets. I own only the 65 lens so there is no need for disassembling, hence no problem at all. And when I have to take my ATX to pieces I will do it with due diligence. But I was not surprised to read about those problems so I dared to reason.

And to help that "the matter does not become too serious": The Dodge example was really inept: I never would expect an American car to operate flawlessly... ;-)
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: