• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange song in Scotland (1 Viewer)

malgos

We live in a secluded Glen and at the moment the Tawny Owls are calling every night almost throughout the whole of the night.Mixed in with these Owl calls is a call I,ve never heard before.Its a warbling call sometimes 3 notes repeated 3 times i.e 1 2 3,1 2 3, 1,2,3 then a break for the same duration as the call then its repeated other times a constant warble. The call it most reminds me of is the bubbling of Black Grouse but very much louder,it really echoes around the Glen and is the same volume as the tawny owls.
I suspect it might be a Juvenile Tawny Owl that as not perfected its call but I have a niggling doubt it might be something else.Any ideas?

malcolm

I'd be tempted to go with juvenile tawny. Young can make a wide variety of warblings and hissings
regards,
Jono

We can also hear Juv Tawny from our home, and that is what i think it could be ?
We also have Little Owl, all calling with a wide arrange of different calls, screech, howl, whistles and warbles also a very loud ping and what sounds to me like a laugh noise ?

So i second Jono :)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back