• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sweden - strange song. Redwing? (1 Viewer)

Enji

Right, I know it's difficult to ID anything from a description of it's song, but here goes.

Yesterday I was out at around 7pm, in Kungshamn-Morga, a nature reserve just outside Uppsala, north of Stockholm, when I heard a bird that I couldn't immediately recognise. Unfortunately, I had left my camera in the car, or I could have used the video function to record the song...

It was a rather loud song, structurally like Redwing, but the initial notes where very hard, sounding kree-kree-kree, falling in pitch. They sounded almost a bit like Black Woodpecker (which of course it wasn't.) The second part of the song was not as loud and sounded more like a typical Redwing. It did not vary the song any, just repeated the same thing over and over.

I really tried to find the bird, but it was sitting in a pine tree and I only saw it when it flew away (I know it was the right bird, because I heard the same song from where it landed, maybe 50 meters away.) It looked very much like a thrush, both in size and the way it flew.

Now, I've heard quite a lot of Redwings, and I know they can vary a lot in their song, but all the ones I've heard have had at least a more whistling, melodious quality to the initial notes, not this VERY hard one. I've listened to all the recordings I have of Redwing, and none of them sounds quite like this song either (except structurally).
My guess is that it was a strange-singing Redwing, but I'd like to ask the experts and hear if anyone had any similar experiences...

Last edited:
The Song Thrushes near me often incorporate Black Woodpecker into their song, im sure Redwing could do the same. In Iceland (Edward or Yann will confirm this) the Redwings sing quite differently depending on where you are in the country.
Cheers
James

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I can't really think of anything else it could be... I was just really thrown, never heard anything sing like that before. (I did actually initially think of a Song Thrush mimicking something, but since it never varied the song I abandoned that idea.)

Redwings in Sweden also sing differently depending on where you are. It's always a bit strange going north and finding they don't really sound the same... ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back