• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (2 Viewers)

Perhaps it was yesterday’s heavy rain that did it, but that’s the situation at Warham Camp today.

Females still haven’t appeared in significant numbers, either and some of the males are now quite battered.

Again, several individuals were disappearing up the track and away from the Camp. Might this mean that they will found other colonies ? If females follow them, is there any reason why not ?

Just come back from the camp and certainly far fewer than I was expecting! Will upload pics promptly! Also a couple of other species I could do with some help with!

Here we go, few chalkhill male and female and a couple others I couldn't identify, I'm a butterfly novice!

Attachments

• P1010815.jpg
    P1010815.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 62
  • P1010816.jpg
    P1010816.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 63
  • P1010812.jpg
    P1010812.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 72
  • P1010823.jpg
    P1010823.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 71
  • P1010818.jpg
    P1010818.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 74
Again, several individuals were disappearing up the track and away from the Camp. Might this mean that they will found other colonies ? If females follow them, is there any reason why not ?

If there are any chalk meadows about, they would indeed be colonised. The problem is that the chalk is a long way down, and so the only suitable habitat is where people have dug it up to the surface. Might be worth looking at any railway embankments nearby, or road banks.

Yet another SW Fritillary at Swanton Novers this summer. That makes 7 confirmed records and 3 probables ( fritillary sp in flight ). The first was a month ago and most records are of singles , but 2 together have been seen once ( photos sent to Butterfly conservation). BC has a field trip to the reserve this weekend and we will look at the area where the latest two sightings have been made. So there is an outside chance of a view weather permitting. The latest sighting this morning was in pristine condition suggesting a freshly emerged specimen , but it must be getting towards the end of the flight period.

I have been told they have also been seen in Foxley Wood NWT reserve a few miles down the road.

Hairstreak help!

Just been reading online that White-letter Hairstreaks never settle with their wings open; is this strictly true? I've been watching some as yet unidentified Hairstreaks near Witton as they 'dance' around the top of an Ash (Elms nearby) and when they land they appear to be sunning with open wings. They are a bit too distant to identify with bins but don't look 'silvery' in flight like Purple Hairstreak does; they're a browner looking butterfly. I'll have to return with the 'scope for conclusive views...

James

Hairstreaks

Just been reading online that White-letter Hairstreaks never settle with their wings open; is this strictly true? I've been watching some as yet unidentified Hairstreaks near Witton as they 'dance' around the top of an Ash (Elms nearby) and when they land they appear to be sunning with open wings. They are a bit too distant to identify with bins but don't look 'silvery' in flight like Purple Hairstreak does; they're a browner looking butterfly. I'll have to return with the 'scope for conclusive views...

James

James,

I think you will find that they are purple hairstreaks. As it is late in the season colours are dulling so the predominant colour that you will be seeing is the brown of the upper wing surfaces. If I have done it right I have attached a picture we took at Sheringham Park last weekend that is a typical basking pose.

Hairstreaks again

James

Second try at the photo, too bid a file first time. Hope it works.

Attachments

• Purple Hairstreak.jpg
    Purple Hairstreak.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 80
Graylings at Winterton 14/08/11

Counted 230 Graylings at Winterton North Dunes but only covered a thin strip of the dunes so assuming there's roughly the same amount all over and then multiplying it up means there must be somewhere between 1000-1500 at the moment, and that dont include the south valley!! Also 33 Small Coppers, 10 Gatekeepers, just 8 Small Heath, 2 Red Admirals, 2 Speckled Woods.

2 Wall Browns at Waxham,single Essex Skipper at Happisburgh. Best of all was a beast of a moth in the dunes at Waxham: The Drinker!
Cheers,
Jim.

Warham yesterday in the wind; 30 male and about 12 female Chalkhill Blues (whistle stop tour - 15 minutes), 2 females flew down the track from outside the camp. 2 Wall and 5 Meadow Brown on the track.

One second brood Swallowtail at Strumpshaw today, feeding on buddleia. It looked rather tatty, so I suppose it's the last one I'll see this year.

Still plenty of Red Admirals, a few Peacocks and one Comma.

Ron

Attachments

• late-swallowtail-small.jpg
    late-swallowtail-small.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 50
A short visit to Foxley wood today produced a male Brimstone, Common Blues, 2 Brown Argus, Gatekeepers, Small Skipper, Purple Hairstreak, Peacock, Small White, Green Veined White and Speckled Woods. Not bad for an hours stroll.

Dune walking

A short visit to Foxley wood today produced a male Brimstone, Common Blues, 2 Brown Argus, Gatekeepers, Small Skipper, Purple Hairstreak, Peacock, Small White, Green Veined White and Speckled Woods. Not bad for an hours stroll.

Nice little haul there Dave.

Dunes and track at Horsey today produced the following:

2 Dark-green Fritillaries
1 Small Copper
1 Small Heath
1/2 Wall Brown
2 Holly Blue
1 Small Tort
10+ Small Whites
2 Gatekeeper
2 Meadow Brown

Cheers,