• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Compact binoculars? (1 Viewer)

etc

Does Leica currently offer compact binoculars, say 6x24? Or smaller? Or anyone else for that matter?

I know they offer 8x20, but I would prefer 6x20.

Last edited:
etc said:
Does Leica currently offer compact binoculars, say 6x24? Or smaller? Or anyone else for that matter?

They currently only make 8x20 and 10x25 in both Trinovids and Ultravids. They used to make a 6x24 Trinovid which is very hard to find now. Sometimes they turn up on E-bay. One just sold about a week ago for about $550.00.

Dennis

etc said:

I'm curious as to why you want a 6x20? Take a look at the 8x20 ultravids, they are incredibly good.

postcardcv said:
I'm curious as to why you want a 6x20? Take a look at the 8x20 ultravids, they are incredibly good.

I would also be interested in a 6x24 quality roof. I find compacts a bit fiddly and hard to use but this configuration should give a relaxed view - good exit pupil and depth/breadth of field.

I have the 6x30 Leupold and am very happy with the magnification.

swalker said:
I have the 6x30 Leupold and am very happy with the magnification.

That sounds promising. I don't think I want 8x power in anything... let alone such a small lense as 20mm. 6x30 has a 5mm exit pupil, sounds ideal.
I cannot believe Leica doesn't make anything like that. Nor does Swarovski it appears.

etc said:
That sounds promising. I don't think I want 8x power in anything... let alone such a small lense as 20mm. 6x30 has a 5mm exit pupil, sounds ideal.
I cannot believe Leica doesn't make anything like that. Nor does Swarovski it appears.

The Leupold 6x30 is very good - pretty lightweight but not a compact. I struggle with any binos with under 4mm exit pupil. Oh .. if the manufacturers are listening .. a 1.8m close focus would be good. That would really be a bino I would take with me anywhere.

etc said:

I think the reason that the big comanies don't make a 6x compact is that there simply is not the demand for them compared to 8x and 10x. I'm suprised to hear that you would not want an 8x in any bino as this is the most popular magnification around... if you get the chance have a look through a pair of top end 8x20s you might be suprised. I'd never got on with compact binoculars until I tried the 8x20 ultravids, they are bright and sharp with a good FOV, I was so impressed I bought a pair.

Just to backup Postcardcv there, I also got a pair of Leica Ultravid 8x20 last year and I may as well have them surgically attached, they´re always with me. Pocketable top-end bins, good FOV for the size, bright as "big" bins and usable with small round specs if need be. My kids have RSPB 6x17 bins (made for kids, very light reverse-porro compacts), which have great FOV at 7.5º. I think I´d find the 6x mag lacking in punch, though, if it were on top-end compacts. But it´s of course a personal thing, everyone´s requirements are slightly different. Do check out the Leica´s that postcardcv recommended, though, if you can push up to 8x. Best of luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back