• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (23 Viewers)

18 Golden Plovers on the flashes per Sy V for anyone who needs them for the year (he couldn't remember his Bird Forum logon or he would've updated from the field).

That's a nice big flock - they seem to be passing through with some regularity just lately.

ooh that would be nice to see, with them on the deck. It's Goldeneye which is avoiding me still

Prediction list
Whiskered Tern: Tim Jones
Green-winged Teal: Trevor Jones
Red-necked Grebe, Mike Wakeman
Glossy Ibis, Andy Gibb
Ring-billed Gull, Stuart Croft

Wryneck, Craig Reed
Cattle Egret, Dave Walker
Common Rosefinch, Des Jennings
Night-heron, Phil Andrews
Long-billed Dowitcher, Gert Corfield
Lesser Yellowlegs, John Belsey
Cirl Bunting, Simon Vickers
Black-throated Diver, Roger P
Spotted Sandpiper, Andy Warr
Caspian Gull , Kay D
Aquatic Warbler, Phil Quiney
Bean Goose, Graham LaB
Red Footed Falcon: Andy Pitt
Marsh Sandpiper: Mark Peacock
Purple Sandpiper: Terry Hinett
Great Reed Warbler: Gary Prescott

Up-dated 16th Nov 2011

Well, folks. I'd quite forgotten about this little wager. If the GI is confirmed as the next new species, I'm happy to plough my winnings back to the reserve. Bragging rights are all I'm after!

Well, folks. I'd quite forgotten about this little wager. If the GI is confirmed as the next new species, I'm happy to plough my winnings back to the reserve. Bragging rights are all I'm after!

Hi Andy
I see you have moved out of the area, we also have Rosefinch pending as well. Nice gesture though. Wait and see:t:John

Just recieved this email from Graham LaB,

At 7.54am a glossy ibis flew over Brickhouse Lane in northerly direction heading towards Bromsgrove. The bird flew over the reserve for 1st timne ticl over rexerve. Did anybody see it? Graham

Was also sent to most of the other Upton guys so?

Seems a bit odd that its not on Brians site yet? Anyone know any more?

I think some clarification is needed on the direction the possible Glossy Ibis was flying. GLab said that it was flew across Brickhouse Lane in a northerly direction towards Bromsgrove which tells me that it would not have flown through the Moors airspace. However, GLab informed John that he (GLab) saw the bird cross the Moors. Is there a point on Brickhouse Lane far enough south where the bird could have flown across the Moors?

Des.

Phil A has had cracking views of the Veery. I hope he doesn't have to make a fourth trip upto Scottish islands--he'll be raiding the Upton funds.

Des

I think some clarification is needed on the direction the possible Glossy Ibis was flying. GLab said that it was flew across Brickhouse Lane in a northerly direction towards Bromsgrove which tells me that it would not have flown through the Moors airspace. However, GLab informed John that he (GLab) saw the bird cross the Moors. Is there a point on Brickhouse Lane far enough south where the bird could have flown across the Moors?

Des.

Hi Des,

Brickhouse Lane appears to end at the extreme south-west point here.

Brian

Quite a surreal morning down at UW today. Some highlights and some ... not so good points.
The Moors was quiet but a couple of occurences made the trip so worthwhile.
Three Little Grebe in one shot and...
A Grey Heron taking the largest Roach I've seen in a long while!

I'll play with the Heron imagery later and see if I can squeeze a nice head/neck shot out of it...

Attachments

• Little Grebe_resize.jpg
    Little Grebe_resize.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 69
  • Heron 1_resize.jpg
    Heron 1_resize.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Heron 2_resize.jpg
    Heron 2_resize.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 84
  • Heron 3_resize.jpg
    Heron 3_resize.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Heron 4_resize.jpg
    Heron 4_resize.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Quite a surreal morning down at UW today. Some highlights and some ... not so good points.
The Moors was quiet but a couple of occurences made the trip so worthwhile.
Three Little Grebe in one shot and...
A Grey Heron taking the largest Roach I've seen in a long while!

I'll play with the Heron imagery later and see if I can squeeze a nice head/neck shot out of it...

nice shots, have you got any of the goldies

Here are a couple of long-range shots with the birds, stereotypically, in amongst the Lapwings...

Attachments

• GP12.jpg
    GP12.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 90
  • GP13.jpg
    GP13.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 84
...and, here are a few shots of the hide WIP...
First one shows all four rear plinths.
In the second shot I was trying to show the quality (vs the old hide) of the joinery.
More detail.
Oops... too late now mate!
A fair bit of timber waiting to go into place...

Attachments

• _MG_0189_resize.jpg
    _MG_0189_resize.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 92
  • _MG_0190_resize.jpg
    _MG_0190_resize.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 76
  • _MG_0191_resize.jpg
    _MG_0191_resize.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 74
  • _MG_0192_resize.jpg
    _MG_0192_resize.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 90
  • _MG_0193_resize.jpg
    _MG_0193_resize.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 69
Phil A has had cracking views of the Veery. I hope he doesn't have to make a fourth trip upto Scottish islands--he'll be raiding the Upton funds.

Des

Luckily I was joined by a car-load of other West Mids birders (Steve Nuttall, Adam Archer and Kevin Clements) so the total cost was "only" £70 per head; no different to say driving down to mid Cornwall by myself; photos on Steve's blog: http://www.surfbirds.com/blog/Belvide84/

Good sighting re the Goldies Sy.

One of us may need to walk the lane with Graham so we know exactly where he was standing and looking towards so there is no confusion.

Last edited:
Sat on the Flashes bench watching the sunrise and listening to a dawn chorus of Blackbirds, Lapwings, Curlew and Golden Plover - simply superb!

Re: the Glossy Ibis -

Does a species not have to be seen either on or from the Reserve to be considered a record?

Birds seen flying 'from' or considered 'over' an area might be a tad tenuous to say the least IMO - When you consider aspect and elevation etc is it really worth the bother of a 'claim' and would it not be better for all concerned, the reserve and its' records to only consider birds actually seen present within the recording area or by observer(s) whether they be the 'regulars' or a 'casual'?

Just a thought...............

Laurie :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back