• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch 10x42 or Vortex Vipers 10x42? (1 Viewer)

MSG Reaver

Hi all

Would appreciate your thoughts on a little dilemma I'm having trouble resolving.

I'm looking for a pair of bins mainly to bird and nature watch, but also for hiking and bush walking through various terrain (so weight is important). I have pretty much settled (I think) on either the Nikon Monarchs 10x42 or the Vortex Viper 10x42.

I've read some very good reviews on this forum on the Monarchs which seem to be very popular, but it seems that it can be a bit hit and miss in terms of getting a quality pair. This is a concern for me given I have to order online because I can't find a store that stocks them anywhere near me.

I've also read some very positive reviews on the Vortex Viper (especially this one http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=68081) and these seem to be a lot more reliable in terms of getting a decent pair straight out of the box.

Any recommendations on the Monarch v Viper head to head or any other general advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

MSG Reaver

Having had both Vipers and Monarchs, I have to say that Viper is a lot better binocular. It has a better image, better depth of field, better resolution and better color. When I first got a Monarch, I liked it quite well, but as time went on, its flaws revealed themselves. A Viper was one of the solutions.

Look over the Hawke Frontier ED threads here too. That's even a better glass for about the same money.

If eye relief is an issue, those are both 15.5 to 16mm. There may be a few models with 17mm in that price class.

I wear glasses mostly birding from the car. So there I want the most ER. In the field, optics is the most important.

With the vipers you'll get an unconditional lifetime warranty from a company that has been around for several decades, and a locking diopter. The Chinese ED models don't offer any of that, so those would be factors to consider. The optical differences are relatively minor imo, but opinions vary.

Best,
Jim

When I was shopping for 10x bins, I looked at them both and the Viper
seemed to be a way better image.
I was sold on the vipers and just about to buy them when the Stokes
DLS 10x went on sale for $450.
I would recommend checking those out as well.

Thanks for all the useful advice guys.

I think I'm going to go with the Vipers and will let you know my views when I pick a pair up.

Cheers
MSG Reaver

MSG Reaver: From pictures I've seen of the Vortex Viper it looks pretty good, classy and understated styling, and retails for around £365. However, do yourself a favour and just try the Hawke 10x43ED Frontier for comparison (I have the 8x version) at around £299; you might like it, and save yourself about £66. As always, 'try before you buy' if possible.

I tend to agree with James Bean. I have the Promaster ELX ED and ZEN ED, which are just about twins to the Hawke. Both are better than my Vipers, which are going to go up for sale.

Definitely. I've had several dozen binoculars over the years, and the Hawke ED, although not perfect, is the best all-rounder for its price level in the UK. Some say that it's 95% as good as the top-end £1,000+ models from Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski and Nikon. I can't speak from personal experience of those 'Alpha' bin's, but my first impression of the ED was "Wow, that's big, clear, bright and sharp!". Ergonomically it feels good too, and has one of the best cases (practical, nicely made) I've seen with a binocular, at any price. As you may have gathered, I like it; but it may not suit you. Try more than one of them if you can, to check focus smoothness/build quality/sharpness etc. ('cherry picking'). As many have said, including me, at around £300 there's nothing to touch it. I was lucky to buy my 8x version for £219 a few weeks ago; prices have gone up twice since then...

If eye relief is an issue, those are both 15.5 to 16mm. There may be a few models with 17mm in that price class.

I wear glasses mostly birding from the car. So there I want the most ER. In the field, optics is the most important.

The Nikon Monarch 10x42 is speced at 16mm and actually has 17mm eyerelief. But the eye lens is recessed 5mm. therefore it has only 12mm of usable eye relief, one of the shortest I've ever used in a 10x42.

edz

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back