• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Linnet or Twite Germany 14 Jan 2014 (1 Viewer)

Andy Hurley

Gotta love nature!
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi,

I photographed a flock of winter Linnet, about 30 -40 birds, and I am wondering if this could be a Twite, as it doesn't have a grey bill, but yellowish, it has a plain throat and seems darker below, lacking dark throat spot, isn't dark brown above and the stripes are quite skriking. It was seen in Bad Lippspringe in NRW Germany yesterday in strong sunlight. Do they mix with Linnets in winter? The GPS info is with the photo details. Could this be my first Twite?

Many thanks for your help.

Attachments

• ARD_1339.JPG
    ARD_1339.JPG
    403.9 KB · Views: 149
  • ARD_1340.jpg
    ARD_1340.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 203
  • ARD_1341.JPG
    ARD_1341.JPG
    392.3 KB · Views: 240
It is a Linnet. Twite e.g. has more yellowish face and a somewhat less obvious white primary panel.

Thanks KGS, the primary panel had me worried. I think it should be more buff coloured than the Linnet white as you point out. The yellowish bill is ok for Linnet then?

Twite. The colours are difficult to make out due to the strong winter light but the black tipped yellow bill rules out Linnet, which has a grey bill all year round. The size of the bill is more 'Redpoll-like' as well. Linnet have a larger / longer bill.

Chris

I'm only seeing Linnets here. I don't think the streaking on the underparts is distinct enough for Twite and the head and wing patterns don't really convince me of Twite either. I'm not really sure the bill is yellow - the light is very strong and I think is making the bill look paler.

2 more photos with back view.

Thanks

Attachments

• ARD_1330.JPG
    ARD_1330.JPG
    382.8 KB · Views: 111
  • ARD_1331.JPG
    ARD_1331.JPG
    429.5 KB · Views: 93
The wing panels do look very white but, the right hand bird in #1 has its 'face' in shadow and ......... the bill is still yellow. ;)

Last edited:
These birds still look like Linnets to me. The sole 'pro' Twite feature (all others point towards Linnet) seems to be the bill colour. Field guides do indeed tell us that Linnets have grey/greyish bills, but this doesn't tell the whole story. Checking further the 'BWP' confirms my recollection that Linnet bills aren't a uniform grey - bill - "dark horn-grey to greyish black, often tinged with paler grey, green, olive, flesh-grey, or grey white at base and lower mandible'. The yellowest looking bill here is one seen from below - that is the lower mandible ...... Also the strong side light shining through the bill seems to accentuate this apparent yellow tint. Besides, in some shots the bills do look greyish!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back