• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redpolls... (1 Viewer)

KenM

Usual Redpolls on the feeder this am...then this pale individual arrived.
The rump area was extensively white albeit with spotting, the head looking particularly contrasty, also the under-parts extremely snow white. The feathering around the ear coverts, scaps, nape and mantle appearing grey/ white, got me wondering?...any comments appreciated.

cheers

Attachments

• Pale Redpoll 1.jpg
    Pale Redpoll 1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 269
  • Pale Redpoll with Siskin.jpg
    Pale Redpoll with Siskin.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 161
Usual Redpolls on the feeder this am...then this pale individual arrived.
The rump area was extensively white albeit with spotting, the head looking particularly contrasty, also the under-parts extremely snow white. The feathering around the ear coverts, scaps, nape and mantle appearing grey/ white, got me wondering?...any comments appreciated.

cheers

Mealy Redpoll, There seems to have been a mini invasion this winter. I had three a few weeks ago

Attachments

• 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Rump colour no longer seems a defining factor to me. 1stW Coues can have streaky rumps, some adult mealies (like this) have good pale rumps.

The bill and bold rump streaking strongly indicate Mealy.

You knew all this didn't you Ken;)

Its those pale Icelandic birds that throw me.

Rump colour no longer seems a defining factor to me. 1stW Coues can have streaky rumps, some adult mealies (like this) have good pale rumps.

The bill and bold rump streaking strongly indicate Mealy.

You knew all this didn't you Ken;)

Its those pale Icelandic birds that throw me.

Cheers Nick, I knew that with it's appearance, it could only default to Meally/Common, however It's the Coues conundrum that confounds! I've often wondered about the relevance of the ''small bill'' as the Aldeburgh, hornemanni didn't so much have a small bill, but appeared to have more down feathering at the bill base than yer typical cabaret/flammea, perhaps reflecting the mean temperatures ''oop North'', bit like Snowy Owl?

Attachments

• Arc.9.jpg
    Arc.9.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 92
FWIW...might be of interest to Redpoll-philes?..bird was in again today, and I was fortunate catching it in good light and posture, thought it contrasted well with the bird behind. cheers

Attachments

• Def.pale Redpoll No.2 full frontal grab.jpg
    Def.pale Redpoll No.2 full frontal grab.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 98
Hi Ken,
I believe it's normally the 1st winter Mealy Redpolls that are this bright
John

Thanks John, here's a shot of one of the bigger individuals in the Redpoll (bigger than the Meally type) group of c9. This is also a Meally, and one that looked significantly different (browner) than the pale bird...presumably an adult bird, or at the other end of the ''Meally cosmetic'' cline.

Cheers Ken.

Attachments

• Redpoll with white rump..jpg
    Redpoll with white rump..jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 54
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back