• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

confirmation from Sri Lanka trip (1 Viewer)

jforgham

Birding for fun
Evening all,
Just returned from brilliant trip to Sri Lanka. These photos taken in Yala National Reserve. Be interested in suggestions to see if they tally with my ones. Waders a little puzzled, but going with lesser sandplover, 2 little stints and curlew sandpiper. Going for paddyfield pipit on the 2nd.Even though it's singing, didn't hear over the noise of the landrover. Looks very long legged.
Many thanks,
Jono

Attachments

• waders.JPG
    waders.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 49
  • paddyfield pipit.JPG
    paddyfield pipit.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
waders: greater sandplover, red-necked stint (?), curlew sandpiper, little stint (?).
the passerine looks more like a bushlark sp.

Thnaks, Lou. Red necked stint a very rare migrant to Sri Lanka, apparently. Greater sandplover a fairly rare migrant. We had 2 trips around the Reserve and in the morning the land rover driver was more interested in finding a leopard and it took me a while to help him understand it was the birds I wished to study. Consequently, I had to photo as soon as we stopped before he moved off. On the 2nd visit in the afternoon, he was much more accomodating. We didn't find any leopards anyway. Full report and loads of photos on my blog. Sure there are others I haven't got right, so please do check, if you have time.

Last edited:
Thank for that. Suspected a marsh sandpiper in the first photo with the spoonbill and whistling duck.
Cheers,
Jono

That's not one I am familiar with, shall check it out as it's not in the Helm Guide for Sri Lanka, which was my only reference.
Edit: now called Jerdon's bushlark, which is illustrated. Checked through other photos and come up with these 2 for comparison. Bushlark and pipit sp, suspect paddyfield?
Cheers.
Jono

Attachments

• jerdon's bushlark.JPG
    jerdon's bushlark.JPG
    263.2 KB · Views: 35
  • pipit sp.JPG
    pipit sp.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Got there at last. Many thanks. Yala is an amazing place. Next trip shall be to Sinharaja. Now editing photos from Kottowa rainforest.
Jono

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back