• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little oasis (1 Viewer)

Geoff WORCS

Not one for treading well known paths these days and back for a breif visit to my beloved Blighty I spied a diamond in the rough. Between Lickey and Lydiate Ash stands a mound of rugged grassy scrub, a heath no less. Suspecting a prior landfill site with its unobtrusive methane vents and having half an hour to spare I took a hike. I love these sort of sites, the way that nature reasserts, resurrects itself after a razoring from mankind.
Mostly rank grassland with a smattering of woody shrubs and small trees. Around its edges some excellent mature trees in the hedgerows and ubiquitous creeping brambles. But interestingly this hillock, an oasis in the manicred desert of arable farmland holds water. Tiny pools matured sufficiently to hold bulrush and juncus ! Ahh yes the birders heart leaps at the site of such aquatic beauties, portents off wetland delights. And I wasn't to be disappointed for here I found snipe, 6 or maybe 9 and one silent and diminutive jack !
Moving on skirting the summit I passed an unseen woodcock which moments later exploded from the weathered grasses, its beating wings alerting me to its escape.
On the summit another surprise a tiny flash. Open on all sides with the coverted shoreline which catapults the mind to Spring and Autumn when a shoebird may ponder and rest from its global wanderings. Ah yes temminck's stint......... dream on.
So here then is my self discovered and uexpected list at the little oasis in the ward of Marlbrook -

Common snipe 6
Jack snipe
Woodcock
Grey heron
Meadow pipit
Pied wagtail
Skylark
Green woodpecker 2
Stock Dove 2
Kestrel

3 Roe deer

Last edited:
Is there room for a hide and car park Geoff? ;)

At least I now know the answer to the post you started writing on the Worcestershire thread!

Is there room for a hide and car park Geoff? ;)

At least I now know the answer to the post you started writing on the Worcestershire thread!

There's always room for a car park and hides Phill but then not necessarily for the birds or lone birders ;)
Yes. I thought perhaps this forum was better suited to my ramblings.
Happy Christmas

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back