• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CL Africa Edition (1 Viewer)

Yes, and right off the bat, the packaging is meant to impress. Instead of the green box, the box is done up in a brown leatherette. Some different inserts also. Not for everyone but personally, I really like the bag. No doubts about the quality there. There are no extra pockets but that was never an issue for me. And I much prefer the darker brown over the Traveler sand brown.
The CL is the same CL, so really, the only reason to spring for this model would be the uniqueness of the bag and color. Although they would make a super cool gift.
No, the 8x30s aren't special order, I just haven't decided how much to put into a limited edition model. We had one of the last generation pocket 8x20s with the real brown leather armor and case (the Pocket Tyrol) and as nice as they were, it didn't move for a long time.

It was brought to my attention via PM that the objective coatings on the Africa model seem to be a bit more on the yellow side of purple than the regular model. I looked and he's right. I try to leave the ones for sale as pristine, in the box as possible, and don't always get them out for field inspection, etc.
He also says they are a bit better at controlling veiling glare.
Thanks for the PM, very helpful.

Last edited:
Bob,

Stating that waxed cotton is waxed cotton is like stating a binocular is a binocular made by no matter who makes it.
We sell Billingham waxed cotton bags between 300,00 and 600,00 euro's, but for you it's just a waxed cotton bag like every other waxed cotton bag, isn't it;).

Jan

My wife has a Duluth Pack leather purse that she bought over 10 years ago. It still looks great. Duluth Pack is a great American manufacturer, like Filson or J.W. Hulme. Of course to the brand conscious, it don't have the cache of Billingham but that might be a good thing. Why pay for the name?

Chad

Last edited:
My wife has a Duluth Pack leather purse that she bought over 10 years ago. It still looks great. Duluth Pack is a great American manufacturer, like Filson or J.W. Hulme. Of course to the brand conscious, it don't have the cache of Billingham but that might be a good thing. Why pay for the name?

Chad

Hi Chad,

Leica now delivers their >32 series with a Filson bag. I never saw a Duluth, but if that's made of the Filson quality it is the same quality as Billingham.
This Filson/Leica bag costs down here 240,00 euro.
If you find Duluth of the same quality as the others and it's much cheaper then you are right in your remark "Why pay for the name".

Jan

Hi Chad,

Leica now delivers their >32 series with a Filson bag. I never saw a Duluth, but if that's made of the Filson quality it is the same quality as Billingham.
This Filson/Leica bag costs down here 240,00 euro.
If you find Duluth of the same quality as the others and it's much cheaper then you are right in your remark "Why pay for the name".

Jan

That Filson/Leica bag seems crazy. I have a medium field bag from Filson that has a leather strap and costs almost $100 less. I have a Crumpler camera insert that fits in it like it was made for it. So I have what I think is a nicer bag for less money. I do like Filson gear though, I have at least five of their bags, and lots of their clothes. I think that Duluth is every bit as good as Filson.

Chad

That Filson/Leica bag seems crazy. I have a medium field bag from Filson that has a leather strap and costs almost $100 less. I have a Crumpler camera insert that fits in it like it was made for it. So I have what I think is a nicer bag for less money. I do like Filson gear though, I have at least five of their bags, and lots of their clothes. I think that Duluth is every bit as good as Filson.

Chad

Chad,

Yes it is strange in the world.
According to the OESO the US is the richest country in the world and it seems they also have the lowest prices (in optics and bags as it turns out):smoke:

Jan

According to the OESO the US is the richest country in the world and it seems they also have the lowest prices (in optics and bags as it turns out):smoke:

Jan

19 Americans for every Dutchman, and the most demanding retail market in the world ... I do like that lable found on some Filson gear : "Might As Well Have The Best" !!

19 Americans for every Dutchman, and the most demanding retail market in the world ... I do like that lable found on some Filson gear : "Might As Well Have The Best" !!
/

One of Filson's Green/Black Alaska Guide Shirts lasted me over 15 years. I wore it fishing in the spring, summer and fall and wore it as shirt/jac in the winter, weather permitting of course. It must have been washed 100 times. And when I got it it came with loose buttons. I sent the shirt back and they resewed the buttons and returned it. I have a Blue/Black one now. The Tan/Black one is particularly good looking. I got one for my son when he went to Chile 21 months ago to teach English. He wore it all over the place there all the way down to Punta Arenas and back. He returned home last month with it and it still looks good.

Here's a picture of one:

http://www.filson.com/mens/

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back