• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SLC Binoculars and Lack of Info (1 Viewer)

hiwese1

So I bought a pair of 8.5x42 ELs last year that were new in box but not swarovision. I got them at 1100 bucks and it was a great price and I love them. I couldn't justify spending 1300 dollars more for the swarovision when I am a hunter and didn't even want to take a chance on RB affect and couldn't justify the extra money. Needless to say I am extremely happy with the purchase and I would make every excuse to use them. I used them for the whole hunting season and on a trip to Africa and wow is all I can say.

Flash forward to now, I have a hunting trip to New Zealand next year and wanted to get a pair of 10x42s. I once again started looking and the new SLCs really grabbed my attention. I searched high and low and the videos on youtube or really nonexistent besides the lame commercials and one short review from Eagle Optics.

After reading as much as I can and talking to some people it is the consensus that the only different between the Swarovisions and the new SLCs are the field flattner lenses but the same optics and coatings. So I was in a hunting store and they were trying to offload their Swarovskis due to lack of sales in this small town and I picked up a brand new version 10x42 SLCs for 1525 dollars. I am beyond happy with the purchase but I have said all of that to say where is all of the love for the SLC's. The lack of info and videos just seem odd to me considering how amazing these binos are.

I understand the website has info. That info is useless to me as off course they pump up all of the products. I rely more on forums, reviews and videos along with comparisons of products. Of course I am not here to be swayed whether or not to buy the SLCs as I already did but was just stating more about the lack of the above reviews and so on of the new SLC line.

I understand the website has info. That info is useless to me as off course they pump up all of the products. I rely more on forums, reviews and videos along with comparisons of products. Of course I am not here to be swayed whether or not to buy the SLCs as I already did but was just stating more about the lack of the above reviews and so on of the new SLC line.

Have you looked at the thread from MPeoples on this subject which has 458 posts and 58.310 views?

They are excellent, I would own one if they came in a 8x32.

As it is I settled on the Swarovision 8x32.

Still at the price they are going for the slc 's are remarkable!

Hope Swaro doesn't catch on, because I'm looking at them right now.

I just wish they kept the 7x42 format, then it would be easy to let go of my 7x SLC.

Bryce...

Hinwese 1,
I published a long review paper in English of the SLC's and other 42 mm binoculars on Peter Sbrahas WEB-site and in Dutch on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor and Albinos also tested the SLC if I remember well, so, with a little searching you certainly are able to find loads of information.
Gijs

Hinwese 1,
I published a long review paper in English of the SLC's and other 42 mm binoculars on Peter Sbrahas WEB-site and in Dutch on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor and Albinos also tested the SLC if I remember well, so, with a little searching you certainly are able to find loads of information.
Gijs

Is this the paper? I noticed a difference in the dates.

English: http://home.europa.com/~telscope/Ginkel.2010.Test.42mm.binoculars.pdf

Dutch: http://www.houseofoutdoor.com/testrapporten/Test-42mm-kijkersMEI-2011.pdf

So I bought a pair of 8.5x42 ELs last year that were new in box but not swarovision. I got them at 1100 bucks and it was a great price and I love them. I couldn't justify spending 1300 dollars more for the swarovision when I am a hunter and didn't even want to take a chance on RB affect and couldn't justify the extra money. Needless to say I am extremely happy with the purchase and I would make every excuse to use them. I used them for the whole hunting season and on a trip to Africa and wow is all I can say.

Flash forward to now, I have a hunting trip to New Zealand next year and wanted to get a pair of 10x42s. I once again started looking and the new SLCs really grabbed my attention. I searched high and low and the videos on youtube or really nonexistent besides the lame commercials and one short review from Eagle Optics.

After reading as much as I can and talking to some people it is the consensus that the only different between the Swarovisions and the new SLCs are the field flattner lenses but the same optics and coatings. So I was in a hunting store and they were trying to offload their Swarovskis due to lack of sales in this small town and I picked up a brand new version 10x42 SLCs for 1525 dollars. I am beyond happy with the purchase but I have said all of that to say where is all of the love for the SLC's. The lack of info and videos just seem odd to me considering how amazing these binos are.

Hi hiwese1,

I've read your post with great interest and basically agree that the SLCs haven't received much sustained attention, notwithstanding Gijs excellent review of the original SLC-HD models, as well those of a few other dispassionate reviewers. (The Allbinos review of the SLC-HD, incidentally, was not dispassionate.)

A question arises as to whether you bought the original SLC-HD or the newest SLC? The original had a significantly shorter close-focusing distance than the newest version, and since it had a higher MSRP would have been a better "deal." Close focusing down to 6' might not matter to you, however, in which case you still made an excellent lifetime investment at a great price. I own an 8x42 SLC-HD, incidentally, and wouldn't trade it for anything I've seen — particularly anything with a field flattener. ;)

When the right binoculars fall into your hands it doesn't take a chorus of angels to sing it's praises. Just enjoy it.

Ed

Last edited:
I far and away prefer the current SLC to the SV (rolling ball)... really, for the money, I think it's the finest all-around binocular on the market.

I far and away prefer the current SLC to the SV (rolling ball)... really, for the money, I think it's the finest all-around binocular on the market.

as far as the rolling ball i don't see it like many other people , the SV is a better binoculair than the SLC

Elkclub, I appreciate the response and it is the newest version. I do understand about the focus distance but at that price I couldnt pass it up. I love my 8.5 els and agree about the comments about great binos falling in your hands. I think that these are amazing and think that for the price difference it is a great buy.

The SLC is a nice binocular. I have tried around a dozen models and I regret to say I've been disappointed with the focusing. Some have been better than others but some have been awful. I know some members here have claimed they have a smooth one but I've never come across a smooth model. I just don't understand why Swarovski can't get this right.

So you :
1. are flying across the globe to kill some animals on a hunting trip;
2. are complaining about lack of info after you bought your bin, while its clear there is enough info if you search on slc + bird forum on that google thing
3. can't justify forking out money for a Swarovision, so instead you just buy a little less than two Swarovski binoculars for that price.

Welcome to BIRDforum, a forum for ornithologists and birdwatchers (not shooters), and generally a friendly place to anyone that has the decency to show some respect to birdwatchers, and the fact that this forum has a lot info to offer without complaining about the lack of it, first. ;-)

^^^ Don't be too hard on the guy, this is a bino forum afterall and all users are very welcome.

In New Zealand only the bats and the whales are native mammals, all else that walks on four legs is either introduced or feral and many of these species are of direct environmental concern to ornithologists amongst many others. It is for this reason that the New Zealand Government has an open policy and no calibre restrictions on culling invasive mammals, not that you would see it.

Best wishes,

temmie, first off you are correct about this being a bird forum and for that I probably should have omitted the hunted info.

I understand how to research and have done a great deal and have read everything I can on the SLC's. My comments were just the fact that on Swarovski's website and other places this bino is listed as a great hunting alternative to the EL swarovision but go on youtube and you won't find any objective video reviews on the new SLC 8 or 10x42s, you just don't and that is all I was referring to when I said the lack of info. I guess it really doesn't matter, I have them and am happy and really that is all that matters.

Trust me it isn't a money issue that I have, I can buy as many swarovisions as I want it is just I chose not to when I have found great alternatives at great prices and don't want to deal with the roller ball affect especially when glassing for hours.

Didn't bother me a damn bit, you are who you are. Some animals, including certain bird species, actually hunt, kill, and then eat other animal and bird species. :eek!: I used my SV this morning to watch some raptors, "buzzards here in central indiana":-O feed on an unidentified carcass.

temmie, first off you are correct about this being a bird forum and for that I probably should have omitted the hunted info.

Last edited:
The current version of the SLC is an excellent binocular. IMO the best buy in a premium roof at the moment. I upgraded to a SLC 10x42 from a Zeiss Victory FL. The Swarovision is out for me as the rolling ball in my 8.5x42 started to drive me nuts. I did not want to take the chance on a 10x42 Swarovision. I replaced my 8.5x42 Swarovision with a Zeiss Victory HT 8x42.

After owning and using the HT 8x42 I would be just as happy with a SLC 8x42. I got a good deal on the HT so it all worked out.

Welcome to BIRDforum, a forum for ornithologists and birdwatchers (not shooters), and generally a friendly place to anyone that has the decency to show some respect to birdwatchers, and the fact that this forum has a lot info to offer without complaining about the lack of it, first. ;-)

I see what you mean. "Generally" it is a friendly place, but then there are a few embarrassing exceptions.

Ed

least said, soonest mended, some of the post count pros here come across patronising in the extreme jus like any other forum

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back