• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski SLC 8x42 W B review (1 Viewer)

Tobias Mennle

After 3 month of use I posted my review: http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/allpages/reviews/swarovski/swarovskislc8x42/swarovskislc8x42.html

The SLC 8x42 is a great binocular. Comparing it to the 8x32 Swarovision was a thrilling experience - the SLC is very different and avoids the shortcomings of the more expensive and seemingly more advanced Swarovision. First impression: The contrast is incredible, almost larger than life! Secondly, ghosting and flare suppression is excellent, so it is one of the few binos I use comfortably without homemade sunshades. Thirdly, it has the classic pincussion distortion for excellent panning and tilting behaviour which I need and prefer over flat field and edge performance. And last, the tripod adapter is simply perfect, a unique selling point of the SLC. In two seconds the SLC is on the tripod and then just a pleasure to use...

Very fine review. I enjoyed it.

Allbinos has criticized transmission curves which are not flat, but I guess they are not flat because manufacturers don´t want them to be. It´s called expertise...

I'm gonna keep that statement. :t:

Ed

The SLC 8X42 is an excellent example of Swarovski's dominance in birding optics. The 8X32 Swarovision, however, is a rare achievement in hand-held binoculars. In comparison to the 8X42 SLC...

The 8X32 Swarovision vs. 8X42 SLC:
20.5/28.5 ounces (the 8X32 appears weightless)
423/408 Field of View
6.2/10.5 close focus in feet
8X/8X Magnification (no difference)
32/42 mm objective (SLC will be "brighter" in low light)

If rolling ball is a deal breaker then the SLC is an alternative. If not, the Swarovisions offer all the color/contrast/sharpness of the SLC without the distraction of "softer" edges. The edge differences between the two lines was immediately obvious to myself and another observer the moment we examined them side-by-side.

I agree on the tripod mount. I had to custom make mounts for the 8X32 and my 8.5X42 and new 10X50. The SLC mount is the way to go!

Nice review and thanks for the link.

I'm not exactly sold on that new armor texture either. Hmm...

I noticed that you didn't have the plastic caps on the strap pushed down over the strap attachment. They need to be installed or you risk a strap failure. :eek!:

Mark

Thanks a lot, Ed!

Pileatus, I don´t agree on the Swarovision, it has a very different image, sure the flat field is impressive and not a subtlety, but contrast in my samples was much better in the SLC. Neither do I find soft edges distracting. We have two different philosophies here… we will see if Zeiss manages to build the perfect Swarovision ;) But I´d definitely prefer a 8x32

Last edited:
I haven't seen the SLC, but I'm sure the view would have to be world class. I also understand your preference for a more traditional style image, but I can't imagine that Swarovski intended for their flagship model to be anything other than the best binocular they have the ability to produce . Again though, I haven't seen the SLC

For what it's worth, I've owned the sv 8x32 for about three years but was recently seduced by the swarovski sales drive to audition the new slc 8x and 10x in the field. To my eye the OP is right on when he mentions the superior color saturation and contrast in the slc. While I am fortunate enough not to have to give up the wonderful portability and optics of the smaller bin in order to acquire the slc, if the necessity was present I might very well do so. I now own the new slc in the 8x42 format and find it truly magnificent.

Thanks a lot, Ed!

Pileatus, I don´t agree on the Swarovision, it has a very different image, sure the flat field is impressive and not a subtlety, but contrast in my samples was much better in the SLC. Neither do I find soft edges distracting. We have two different philosophies here… we will see if Zeiss manages to build the perfect Swarovision ;) But I´d definitely prefer a 8x32
I checked out a pair (8X42 SLC new version) yesterday and I agree...contrast is slightly enhanced in the SLC. Swarovski mentions this in their literature and the article by Wayne Mones explains the philosophy.
http://www.audubonmagazine.org/articles/blog/binocular-review-swarovski-slc-8x42-hd

I think Swarovski does a fine job of appealing to the broadest possible optics market. For many, it's not "should I buy a Swarovski", but "which one." Considering the times, that's a rather pleasant dilemma.

The $500 Endeavor EDII is nipping at the heels of my new SV, the next Swarovski model down from them in the lineup is actually superior to them, and the mighty Zeiss SF is looming on the horizon poised to destroy them.:-C Woe unto me and my overpriced POS. 3:)

The $500 Endeavor EDII is nipping at the heels of my new SV, the next Swarovski model down from them in the lineup is actually superior to them, and the mighty Zeiss SF is looming on the horizon poised to destroy them.:-C Woe unto me and my overpriced POS. 3:)

I like your sense of humor. : ) No worries! You could always flip them and buy 4 more!

Truthfully though I got to eye some mid range stuff and they were quite good.

But????? Not quite there, ain't never gonna happen.

Absurd I tell ya! That's what I get all the time.

Use them or lose them.

I use them if not i lose them.

I have purchased a lot of glass over the years, I have saved money by buying quality
optics.

Don't fret.

Bryce...

Hi Bryce

Just being my usual wiseacre self.|:D| I don't see them leaving anytime soon.:t:

I like your sense of humor. : ) No worries! You could always flip them and buy 4 more!

Truthfully though I got to eye some mid range stuff and they were quite good.

But????? Not quite there, ain't never gonna happen.

Absurd I tell ya! That's what I get all the time.

Use them or lose them.

I use them if not i lose them.

I have purchased a lot of glass over the years, I have saved money by buying quality
optics.

Don't fret.

Bryce...

I've had the new SLC 8X42 and traded it for the EL 8X32 SV. The SLC is truly an amazing piece of kit, but I found it too bulky to lug around as my general go-to bin.

Personally, I prefer the SV over the SLC. The only thing where the SLC really stands out is the glare control, which I found to be better in the SLC.
Color saturation, contrast, and sharpness is on a par (at least to me) for both bins.

Bryce's opinion had me convinced to go for the little SV, and I haven't missed the SLC eversince. They're both superb, but the SV just seems to suit me better.

Best regards,

Gijs

I've had the new SLC 8X42 and traded it for the EL 8X32 SV. The SLC is truly an amazing piece of kit, but I found it too bulky to lug around as my general go-to bin.

Personally, I prefer the SV over the SLC. The only thing where the SLC really stands out is the glare control, which I found to be better in the SLC.
Color saturation, contrast, and sharpness is on a par (at least to me) for both bins.

Bryce's opinion had me convinced to go for the little SV, and I haven't missed the SLC eversince. They're both superb, but the SV just seems to suit me better.

Best regards,

Gijs
I have also tried the SLC 8x42 and I still prefer the 8x32 Swarovision overall. I am waiting for the SF to see if it knocks the SV off it's pedestal. I don't see much difference in contrast between the two Swarovski's. I bought a Leupold GR HD 8x32 off of Ebay a few days ago to try. Curious how it stacks up against my SV. I have heard it is pretty good glass and Allbinos really likes them except for the weight. The SF is going to have to be pretty good to beat the SV. Who here is on the waiting list for the SF? Anybody?

I have also tried the SLC 8x42 and I still prefer the 8x32 Swarovision overall. I am waiting for the SF to see if it knocks the SV off it's pedestal. ................. I bought a Leupold GR HD 8x32 off of Ebay a few days ago to try. ............

I've compared these two a couple of times in the store and to use one of your favorite terms, the SLC "killed" the SV in handling stray light. The differences were quite glaring (pun intended) when looking at black backgrounds. I suspect it is not as big of an issue outdoors where you do not have overhead light sources from all angles. However there are owner posts saying it is annoying under certain conditions. The SV has so may good qualities that I suspect I could accept this issue if it only occurred in limited situations when using it in the great outdoors. As picky as you are about your optics, I am surprised that you are dealing with it.

I was lucky enough to see the SF at a show and found the view to be excellent. As I replied to one of your posts a few weeks ago, I suspect you will like the view of the SF better (and it handled the stay light much better), but will like the size and weight of the SV more. It will be interesting to see which of your priorities wins out.

Please post your comments on the Leupold Gold Ring in the Leupold Forum after you have a chance to check them out. I doubt the overall view will beat the SV but I am curious to know if it meets your Allbinos expectations.

I have also tried the SLC 8x42 and I still prefer the 8x32 Swarovision overall. I am waiting for the SF to see if it knocks the SV off it's pedestal. I don't see much difference in contrast between the two Swarovski's. I bought a Leupold GR HD 8x32 off of Ebay a few days ago to try. Curious how it stacks up against my SV. I have heard it is pretty good glass and Allbinos really likes them except for the weight. The SF is going to have to be pretty good to beat the SV. Who here is on the waiting list for the SF? Anybody?
Hi Dennis .... My significant other(John), who sold you the 8x32 HD Leupold's wants to know how you like them in comparison to your 8x32 Swarovision. I think Allbinos review was spot on in comparison & it still puzzles me why the Leupold's were discontinued. I know the 8x32 SV optically is just as good & to many even better, but I am still going to hang on to mine. ..... gwen

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back