• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod Binocular Adapter ? (1 Viewer)

PlanetMaker

I just got the Swarovski EL 12x50 and want to use on one of the many strap-down adapter models

Question: once strapped down how dose one adjust the Interpupillary distance after mounting when it goes flat in the strapped position ?

Thanks

I just got the Swarovski EL 12x50 and want to use on one of the many strap-down adapter models

Question: once strapped down how dose one adjust the Interpupillary distance after mounting when it goes flat in the strapped position ?

Thanks
The Swarovski adapter DOES NOT allow you to adjust the IPD after mounting. I spent more than $100 on the Swaro model and ended up fabricating my own adapter that allows (with minor difficulty) IPD adjustment. The Swaro adapter uses a rubber strap which is a pain to use unless it's directly mounted on a stiff tripod. I mount bins on a monopod attached to a tripod and the Swaro is just not a workable system. I'll post photos when I return from holiday.

The Swarovski adapter DOES NOT allow you to adjust the IPD after mounting. I spent more than $100 on the Swaro model and ended up fabricating my own adapter that allows (with minor difficulty) IPD adjustment. The Swaro adapter uses a rubber strap which is a pain to use unless it's directly mounted on a stiff tripod. I mount bins on a monopod attached to a tripod and the Swaro is just not a workable system. I'll post photos when I return from holiday.

I truly think the one by Outdoorsmans would be the best but I would hate sending my Swarovski to them for the setup, about $120 by the time you get it back but adjusting the IPD would be easy
Look forward to your photos
http://outdoorsmans.com/product/outdoorsmans-binocular-adapter/

Attachments

• Swarovski1.jpg
    Swarovski1.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_6027-1024x682.jpg
    IMG_6027-1024x682.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 227
  • Screen Shot 2014-10-17 at 10.15.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-17 at 10.15.58 AM.png
    97.3 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

Thanks

I understand that you want to use a strap down adapter, but for what reason do you not want to use the original EL adapter (not the ELSV but the EL model)? It fits perfectly.

Jan

I truly think the one by Outdoorsmans would be the best but I would hate sending my Swarovski to them for the setup, about $120 by the time you get it back but adjusting the IPD would be easy
Look forward to your photos
http://outdoorsmans.com/product/outdoorsmans-binocular-adapter/
It will be another week before I have access to the photos. For now...
The basic system is a sturdy tripod fitted with a quick release Manfrotto Super clamp to which I attach a monopod. On the working end of the monopod is a grip action ball head; on the other is a counterweight. I attach a binocular to my custom mount and then simply attach it to the ball head with a quick release plate. It's an extremely versatile and STABLE setup. I can sit under the stars with my 10X50 SV and there's not a bit of shake to disturb the "view".

The Swarovski mount works but there are two serious issues. Number 1 is getting the strap pulled over the bin and locked in place. It's just not workable with my system. Second, and more important, is I cannot adjust the IPD once the bin is mounted. My system has a padded wood base with a quick release plate, a vertical stainless threaded rod, a horizontal padded wood plate that fits over the rod acting as a clamp against the bin. A wing nut tightens it down AND loosens if you want to adjust IPD during use. I'll post specs with photos.

Just checked.
Austrian stock is still 7 pieces.
Just ask your official Swaro dealer maybe he has them still in stock (we have 5 pieces).

Jan
Thanks but I've already solved the problem...and I'm in over a hundred bucks already for something I cannot use.
Thanks again!

It will be another week before I have access to the photos. For now...
The basic system is a sturdy tripod fitted with a quick release Manfrotto Super clamp to which I attach a monopod. On the working end of the monopod is a grip action ball head; on the other is a counterweight. I attach a binocular to my custom mount and then simply attach it to the ball head with a quick release plate. It's an extremely versatile and STABLE setup. I can sit under the stars with my 10X50 SV and there's not a bit of shake to disturb the "view".

The Swarovski mount works but there are two serious issues. Number 1 is getting the strap pulled over the bin and locked in place. It's just not workable with my system. Second, and more important, is I cannot adjust the IPD once the bin is mounted. My system has a padded wood base with a quick release plate, a vertical stainless threaded rod, a horizontal padded wood plate that fits over the rod acting as a clamp against the bin. A wing nut tightens it down AND loosens if you want to adjust IPD during use. I'll post specs with photos.

Second, and more important, is I cannot adjust the IPD once the bin is mounted

This is where I am about this issue also, thanks for the description of your setup, looking forward to your pictures after you return home
Thanks

This is a set of photos of the larger version I made for my 42mm/50mm Swarovisions. I'll include more details in a comprehensive post dealing with a binocular mounting system.

Note: I recently changed the 1/4 inch central screw support rod to a 10-24 stainless machine screw so the minimum IPD could be accommodated. There's not much space when the SV is fully closed.

Last edited:
Here's one I made earlier

I wanted to use my 8.5 x 42s with 2x boosters which makes them well-nigh impossible to use hand-held. The commercial tripod mounts available in the UK didn’t seem too clever, so I made one.

Basically it’s a 3mm aluminium baseplate about 135mm x 45mm, some strips of 35mm Velcro, nuts and bolts, and aluminium clamping strips. (I painted the aluminium black, just for appearance)).

The two bits of Velcro are fixed onto the baseplate using small bolts which go right through the Velcro, baseplate, and clamping strip. There’s a hole in the baseplate threaded to take a standard tripod mount (¼ UNC thread).

To mount the bins on the clamp, you thread the Velcro strips through the centre, and fasten them round the barrels of the bins. The gripping area of the Velcro is about 50mm x 30mm so it’s quite a secure grip. The soft side of the Velcro is next to the bins, to avoid damage caused to the bins from the hooky side. Once the mount’s on the bins you screw in the tripod quick release plate as usual.

It works pretty well, and, as you can see in the photos, will hold the bins with 2x booster attached. The inter-pupillary issue mentioned in PlanetMaker’s original post isn’t a problem - a certain amount of movement is possible when the whole thing’s assembled, so I just adjust the bins as per normal after the clamp’s fitted.

Total weight is about 80gms, cost was under £10, and all the material is readily available on eBay.

I don’t think there’s anything terribly inventive or original in the mount, but if you like making things, there are worse ways of spending a rainy morning!

If you want to have a go at making one yourself, I’m happy to provide more details - e-mail me.

Jeff

Attachments

• Bins mount  1.jpg
    Bins mount 1.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 310
  • Bins mount  2.jpg
    Bins mount 2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 181
  • Bins mount  3.jpg
    Bins mount 3.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 204
  • Bins mount  4.jpg
    Bins mount 4.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 179
PlanetMaker

I was a bit concerned about that, but I measured it all out very carefully, and so far so good! Unfortunately the bolts have to go up that way with the nuts at the top, because they're countersunk at the bottom of the baseplate to give a smooth surface for the tripod quick-release plate.

A much simpler design would be to simply cut four slots in the baseplate and thread the Velcro strips through them. A bit of foam padding on the base plate, and you're good to go, with no potentially harmful nuts and bolts. My metal working skills are pretty hot when it comes to drilling holes, but anything more complicated - like slots - is something else, so I didn't go for that design.

If we have another rainy morning (100% probable in the UK in the Autumn) I might give that design a try, and if so, I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Jeff

Thanks

PlanetMaker, using the Swaro Universal Tripod Adapter, you will need to set your IPD before trying to mount it. Once set, lay it on the frame.

The next point is critical: take the strap and stretch it vertically up and only then, in a somewhat taught position, move it over the binoculars and hook it in to place. This should be rather simple as long as one does not try to stretch the rubber directly over the binoculars (with the two non-slip surfaces, strap and armouring, obviously not slipping over each other).

One cannot adjust the IPD while mounted, but once one has the hang of how to mount the binoculars correctly on the UTA, it shouldn't be a problem to change this between users.

Hope this helps,
Dale

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back