• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why no 7x32 from 'big 3'? (1 Viewer)

etc

I have a 8x42 Leica but would love to own a 7x32mm from either Leica or Swarovski or Zeiss. It's strange that this combo is not available. I understand that 7x35mm Leica was a classic birding choice in the 70's?

Anyway, 8x32mm wouldn't work for me, due to eye relief. Plus, 7x power seems more steady and easier to hold than any other power. 7x32 means exit pupil size of 4.6mm, not bad.

In addition to 8x42, I would love to own:
7x32 and maybe 6x30 or 6x24 but the latter two are not available.

Last edited:
I have a 8x42 Leica but would love to own a 7x32mm from either Leica or Swarovski or Zeiss. It's strange that this combo is not available. I understand that 7x32mm was a classic birding choice in the 70's?

Anyway, 8x32mm wouldn't work for me, due to eye relief. Plus, 7x power seems more steady and easier to hold than any other power.

Eagle Optics sells a 6 x 32 under it's own name and Leupold sells one also. Leupold also sells a very fine 6 x 30 Porro for about $100.00. It's compact and waterproof. Leupold is also coming out in April with a dual power 7/12 x 32 Gold Ring for $850.00. Specs show generous eye relief. Gold Rings are Leupolds top of the line. http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?t=&pid=12727&m=176 Maybe a step down from the big three but consider the price differential.
Bob

Last edited:

If you're really waiting to own (and use in the field) one of these formats I suggest you look at the Leupold Katmai 6x32. Very nice kit indeed.

It really has everything a birder could want. And there's room to glue on a Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss logo;)

Small, light and bright and the big 3 don't make it.

Cheers

I agree with everyone here. After my Leica Ultravid 8X32, my next favorite binocular in my collection is the $280.00 Eagle Optics 6X32. This one always gets "wows" from everyone I show it too, and surprised to learn about the benefits of the low power...

As for the big 3, they probably don't make them because many bino purchasers are automatically turned off by the low power and fear it would become a non-seller.

The good thing about low power like 6x30 and 7x32 is that it's so easy to hold steady, and so light and compact.
Thanks for the idea, I will check out Eagle Optics.

I realize your original post was from a top end manufacturer. However there is a very, very good 7x36 glass available in the Swift Eaglet. I paid about $450 for mine (these have the new CFT coatings) and they are good enough that I have yet to wish they were better than they are. No, they are not as good as a binocular costing 2-3X more than that, but the diffferences is slight enough that unless you have them side by side you will likely not notice. These are about 96-98% of as good as optics get. Some will balk at a fov of 374' @ 1,000, but it seems fine for me. Worth a look.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back