• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

And The Winner Is !! (1 Viewer)

lilcrazy2

United States
Postcardcv

Congrats on making 165 posts today and 294 out of 2325 for a 12.6 percent stake. We have about 3 posters who now account for over 25% of the total.

Does anyone but me find this contest starting to border on the absurd?

How would you like to get stuck behind one at the buffet line?

Guess I'll just have to buy my own.

Not me. I'm contemplating never buying one unless some kind of control goes into effect. Something sensible, like no more than one to a customer.

Bob

I reported it as potential spam when the replies were still less than 10 but the moderator who answered has been busy entering herself. Big WASTE OF BF BANDWIDTH. Charles should have run this off his own site/server.

This is a very mysterious thread. What contest? Never buying what? Who is Charles?

Last edited:

It got silly pretty fast. I've got a few dozen posts in it, but cant possibly continue at that pace, let alone the break neck speed of some others.

One thing that would be nice is if the posts at least had some semblance of of a common discussion, topic, theme, etc.

Eh, whatever floats yer boat I guess!

I reported it as potential spam when the replies were still less than 10 but the moderator who answered has been busy entering herself. Big WASTE OF BF BANDWIDTH. Charles should have run this off his own site/server.

I agree, this is not appropriate for a forum like this. Go onto that thread,
and report it, it is spam. Keep it up until it is removed.

Postcardcv

Congrats on making 165 posts today and 294 out of 2325 for a 12.6 percent stake. We have about 3 posters who now account for over 25% of the total.

How would you like to get stuck behind one at the buffet line?

Guess I'll just have to buy my own.

What do you expect with over 15,000 posts here on birdforum?:eek!:

I read through this thread several times a day just to see if anything interesting is being said. Mostly it isn't. Isn't it funny how crazy people will get for something free?

Granted, there are many free items and ultimately some very good free items so I am sure that is a factor. ;)

Frank:

Why should we clutter up such a nice forum with something like this contest ?

Birdforum "has been a well run forum", but with this type of thing, I predict this thread will be soon coming to an end.

Jerry

one of the first things I suggested on that thread was that the contest be changed to one vote per member as that would prevent exactly what has happened an yet we would still have an exciting contest. No one was listening. But that's how it goes. Remember the big shopping spree at xmas where some lady used pepper spray on the competition. Humans are a crazy animal.

Now excuse me while I get back to that thread and try and win those bins.3:)

It's too bad a nice idea may implode. I think it might help to remember that the intentions were good but it might not have been well thought through.

I agree with all of the above (although I claim no knowledge of whether the effects on bandwidth are great or small, good or bad).
Certainly I don't think BF would want this to be the thin end of the wedge......but as a one-off its been an interesting ride....

Perhaps the efficacy of the mechanism has suprised Charles himself, and maybe even the Administrators.
I think Jerry's on the right track, some sort of change may be in order after this set of bins is run and won....

"Those who can see the future are destined not to walk through it."

If it was just one post = one and only entry, then maybe the thread would have just been riding in the meat of the torque curve, instead of bouncing crazily off the rev limiter.

The lure of the PRIME HD's has definitely drawn a crowd!

One thing that would be nice is if the posts at least had some semblance of of a common discussion, topic, theme, etc.

I think it has - it's called random! :-O (it is largely a bit of fun after all)
It seems that one man's poetry is another's pack of p** tickets....

Anyway, I'm off to win some much needed bins, playing (nicely) by whatever rules stand, and without trying to be any sillier than I've already been ;)

Chosun :gh:

This contest is a good lesson in basic human behavior.

For some I would agree - I believe the proper term would be avarice.

Maybe we could hire that guy that films the college chicks and have him do a "Bird Forum Members Gone Wild" DVD.

Soeee, Soeee!

All,

Thanks for the feedback. We created that thread so all members can have fun while winning some great prizes. We certainly didn't anticipate the tension that may arise because of this. I think all of us agree that we need strike a good balance so it's fair to everyone. Therefore, I proposed the following changes

1) We suggest members limit their post to one reply per day. I don't have a way to police this. But consider this as doing a favor for me!

2) We will honor the rules on random drawing of The VISTA binoculars and 2 PRIME HD as set in my initial post. However, to give all participating members a better chance to win, we will offer another pair of PRIME HD. For this pair, each member will have one vote only no matter how many posts he or she may have.

Thank you.

Charles

Charles, thanks for stepping in.

I think these measures will reign some sort of order in.

It is well understood that the intentions were good and honourable, but ala the socerer's apprentice, seemed to take on some sort of life of its own.....:-O
Don't be discouraged by some of the judgement - one man's avarice may well be just enthusiasm (I think yoof-full exuberance is the term used over there!)

Could the mods please step in, and ensure some sort of order and compliance.

Please excuse my posts either side of yours, as I'd already sent them on their way, when yours popped up inbetween. Msg understood.
I also sent a PM noobie101's way just in case they missed the link you posted.

I'd like to thank you, and Zen-Ray for your generosity, and favour shown to BF members. The extra PRIME HD will be most welcome I'm sure :t:

All the best, Chosun :gh:

I found myself almost getting caught up in the insanity of it all, but then when I got up to go to the bathroom and looked in the mirror, I noticed my nose had flattened out, gotten bigger, and turned pink.;)

All,

Thanks for the feedback. We created that thread so all members can have fun while winning some great prizes. We certainly didn't anticipate the tension that may arise because of this. I think all of us agree that we need strike a good balance so it's fair to everyone. Therefore, I proposed the following changes

1) We suggest members limit their post to one reply per day. I don't have a way to police this. But consider this as doing a favor for me!

2) We will honor the rules on random drawing of The VISTA binoculars and 2 PRIME HD as set in my initial post. However, to give all participating members a better chance to win, we will offer another pair of PRIME HD. For this pair, each member will have one vote only no matter how many posts he or she may have.

Thank you.

Charles

Charles,
You are still running this like the binoculars are door prizes at a convention.

I once attended a Trout Unlimited Regional Conference which had about 20 door prizes given out at random before the dinner. Everybody was given 10 tickets with a lucky number on each one. I won 8 (Eight) of the door prizes and everybody stared daggers at me for the rest of the night. That is what is going to happen to you unless you limit the number of binoculars a person can win to 1 (one).
Bob

Is really all publicity good publicity?

Maybe, if possible, the multiple posts up to #2458 should somehow not be counted.

I probably wasn't the first multi poster, but the first many in a row poster.
But I soon got fed up with the thing and stopped posting entirely.

Now it feels good to start again, with one post per day.:t:

Last edited:
Well If one is not attached to this then it doesn't matter what the others are doing. If it's set up in an unskillful way and it turns out to be problematic then the next time hopefully the site managers will have learned that lesson and not let it go this way again. In the mean time this is how the contest is. If I don't like it I can just stay away or play it like you in a way that feels good personally. Or not. It's all the same in the end. Eventually this is all likely to settle down. Right now I'm posting a lot but in a short time like you I'm going to just drop a one liner in a few times a day and be done with it. Once I haven't won for awhile.;)

Charles,
You are still running this like the binoculars are door prizes at a convention.

I once attended a Trout Unlimited Regional Conference which had about 20 door prizes given out at random before the dinner. Everybody was given 10 tickets with a lucky number on each one. I won 8 (Eight) of the door prizes and everybody stared daggers at me for the rest of the night. That is what is going to happen to you unless you limit the number of binoculars a person can win to 1 (one).
Bob

I think a limit of one of the main prizes is right on. Then you are in the drawing for the Grand prizes but only one vote per person on those. Everyone has an equal chance at the grand prize.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back