• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long-horned Grasshopper? S W Turkey (1 Viewer)

Barred Wobbler

The first of these, with a brilliant green belly was next to a coastal lagoon. The second was a few miles inland (on a new corrugated metal building) on the edge of pine woodland. Both near Dalyan.

Can anyone give me the species?

Attachments

• IMG_0439-web.jpg
    IMG_0439-web.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_8638-web.jpg
    IMG_8638-web.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 54
I can't ID the species, I'm afraid, but they are Bush-Crickets, not Grasshoppers. #1 is a female ( long, sickle-shaped ovipositer ) and #2 is a male.

Thanks Chris.

That's sod's law in action. When I saw them I thought they were bush crickets (as my wife would confirm ;) ) and it was only when I was preparing this post that I wondered if they might be grasshoppers.

I wonder whether the first is a species of Metrioptera as I can see a resemblance to our 2 native species- Bog+ Roesel's?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back