• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (4 Viewers)

A mix of sun and showers this morning. No sign of any Egyptian Geese, the only wader of note was a Dunlin. 3 Cetti's Warbler were singing.
The year list has gone up to 138 species with the addition of Egyptian Goose (10-13th May), Marsh Harrier (10th May) and Little Owl (13th May), records courtesy of TVB.
Geoff

There was a mixture of wildfowl today including 1 Barnacle Goose, 1 Egyptian Goose and a drake Pochard. A Little Egret was on the north pit and a Ruff was new in. At 4pm an Osprey was mobbed by gulls by Fishers Mill Pool then disappeared over Mill Plantation, the 4th for the year.
The year list now stands at 140 species with the addition of Long-tailed Skua(JH) and Barnacle Goose.
Geoff

Update,
19th May, 1 Barnacle Goose hybrid, 1 Egyptian Goose, 3 Dunlin, 1 Ruff. A Little Owl was reported again by the reserve entrance and a Red Kite (140) flew over the farm (GAW per TVB).
21st May, 1 Short-eared Owl still.
23rd May, The Little Owl was sadly found dead in the road by the reserve entrance this morning.
25th May, 2 Greenshank flew into the north pit and a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker was reported on the feeders.
26th May, A good passage of waders, 1 LRP, 3 Ringed Plover, 2 Little Stint (141), 3 Sanderling (142) and 2 Turnstone (143),1 Common Sandpiper all on the north pit.
27th May, Highlight was a Black Tern (144) hawking insects on the north pit, also there were 7+ Ringed Plover, 2 LRP, 1 Common Sandpiper and 2 Little Egret which were later seen at the heronry at noon, a Short-eared Owl was again reported.
With the deletion of Barnacle Goose the year list now stands at 144 species.
Geoff

Last edited:
A first summer Little Gull was resting up on the north pit this morning but very few waders were seen.
Water was pouring in from the river up the channel to the north pit and a Coot was frantically trying to build up it's nest but with more rain forecast over the next few days it looks as though many birds will lose their nests again.
Geoff

A first summer Little Gull was resting up on the north pit this morning but very few waders were seen.
Water was pouring in from the river up the channel to the north pit and a Coot was frantically trying to build up it's nest but with more rain forecast over the next few days it looks as though many birds will lose their nests again.
Geoff
Luckily the forecast rain didn't arrive and water levels have dropped slightly.
Highlight this afternoon was a Hobby which flew straight through the reserve, my first of the year for here.
The family of Shelduck were on the hall lake,there were at least 2 ducklings showing. No new waders were seen, just the regulars, 4 Redshank, 4 Oystercatcher, 3 Ringed Plover and several Lapwing, a Cetti's Warbler was singing well from across the river.
Geoff

Luckily the forecast rain didn't arrive and water levels have dropped slightly.
Highlight this afternoon was a Hobby which flew straight through the reserve, my first of the year for here.
The family of Shelduck were on the hall lake,there were at least 2 ducklings showing. No new waders were seen, just the regulars, 4 Redshank, 4 Oystercatcher, 3 Ringed Plover and several Lapwing, a Cetti's Warbler was singing well from across the river.
Geoff

There were 12 Shelduck ducklings with the parents on the hall lake when I looked at about 11:30 Friday morning.
Steve

There were 12 Shelduck ducklings with the parents on the hall lake when I looked at about 11:30 Friday morning.
Steve
I couldn't see any Shelduck ducklings yesterday afternoon, they must have been huddled up with their parents in the cool damp conditions.
2 Dunlin were new in on the north pit and a Little Egret was feeding there, a possible Ringed Teal or hybrid (escapee) was also new.
A Red Kite was reported in the morning, also seen around the reserve were Sparrowhawk, Teal, Wigeon,Yellow Wagtail and Yellowhammer.
115 species were seen in May.
Geoff

After yesterdays rain some of the paths around the reserve were under a foot or more of water and all the islands and the spit on the north pit were inundated, many waders, terns and waterfowl will have again lost nests, it may be too late for them to re nest now. 2 Dunlin were still on the north pit and a Yellow Wagtail was nearby. A pair of Shelduck with 2 ducklings on the north pit and a Mute Swan with 6 cygnets have survived the flood. A Cuckoo was calling.
Geoff

North pit

After yesterdays rain some of the paths around the reserve were under a foot or more of water and all the islands and the spit on the north pit were inundated, many waders, terns and waterfowl will have again lost nests, it may be too late for them to re nest now. 2 Dunlin were still on the north pit and a Yellow Wagtail was nearby. A pair of Shelduck with 2 ducklings on the north pit and a Mute Swan with 6 cygnets have survived the flood. A Cuckoo was calling.
Geoff

There's nothing new with the North pit flooding, however the RSPB have created more islands which have enticed more birds to breed with the result more losses on flooding and less suitable for passage waders, the suggestion of a floating sluice to be put in with the re-landscaping of the Mid section after the breeding season, would stop all but the serious flood events.

Regards, John

Last edited:
Water levels down a bit more in the North Pit today. Bumped into RSPB official Chris who told me that a sluice for the North Pit will be installed after the breeding season has ended. Also that work will begin this autumn on lowering the ground of the middle section to create further wetland. After not seeing any waders at all yesterday at least there were a Redshank and an Oystercatcher about. I also saw a Male Kestrel offering food to a female in a small tree to the west of the top end of the North Pit on the edge of the arable field.
Steve

Just about managed to get all around this morning despite many flooded paths - wellies are essential though, as in places the water nearly came over the top of them! Path in Middleton Hall Copse is flooded between the bridges but you can get through via the ford route. The bridleway between the copse and Fishers Mill Bridge is flooded but just about passable in wellies as is the path alongside the South Pit. The causeway between South and North pit is probably the worst but you can get through by walking on the bank on the right side.
The North pit is once again severely flooded with the spit virtually entirely disappeared under water with only the tops of vegetation visible. The same goes for most of the islands. The water is so high that in one place it is running out of the pit across the path and into the ditch on the west side. Needless to say no sign of any waders other than 2 sad looking Oystercatchers. The South Pit is as high as the North. Fishers Mills Pool looks more or less OK and I could see all 10 of the young Black Headed Gulls. Lets hope we don't get much more rain.
Steve

It's a pity that after all this landscaping work that more thought has'nt gone into flood control? Waders, both passage and breeding are obviously a major feature of this reserve? The whole area must resemble an inland sea? I have been there a number of times during 'wet' periods and getting around has been decidedly difficult. That whole area has high groundwater at normal times so if wader habitat is a requirement then something more permanent will have to be done?

I await further information that all is in hand etc etc from RSPB sources......

Laurie:t:

It's a pity that after all this landscaping work that more thought has'nt gone into flood control? Waders, both passage and breeding are obviously a major feature of this reserve? The whole area must resemble an inland sea? I have been there a number of times during 'wet' periods and getting around has been decidedly difficult. That whole area has high groundwater at normal times so if wader habitat is a requirement then something more permanent will have to be done?

I await further information that all is in hand etc etc from RSPB sources......

According to RSPB sources they weren't allowed to put any water controls in at the beginning as the EA said that these lakes are an important part of flood relief for the area. However that was a stupid reason as level controls that only allow water in at critical times would work much better, permission has now been given. In the recent flooding a weighted down tarpaulin draped over the inlet culvert to restrict water access would have prevented much of the problem. I don't know how the planned floating sluice system works but lets hope it does the trick or it would be better to prevent birds from nesting on the northern complex. The simple controls on Fishers Mill Pool have worked well with water levels only rising about an inch compared to circa two feet on the northern lake, also the new reedbed pool level control will need opening when theres a gap in the rain, this was one of the best areas for waders last year.

Last edited:
Took a wander around this afternoon - nothing unusual - But the sun was out!!

Managed to see lots of different insects / creatures that I hadn't really noticed before. Even manage to take a few pics with my birding set up - (I will try & post a few)

Attachments

• Butterfly 1.jpg
    Butterfly 1.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Damselleflies 2.jpg
    Damselleflies 2.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Banded Damselleflies 1.jpg
    Banded Damselleflies 1.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Banded Damselleflies 3.jpg
    Banded Damselleflies 3.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 49
RSPB Middeton lakes planned major wetland re-profiling

Comments made in correspondence with Middleton lakes head warden, Nick Martin.
The major wetland re-profiling due to take place after the breeding season, has had input from senior ecologists that previuously worked on the Titchwell scrape and Laken heath amongst other sites.
Although these plans are better for the long term the RSPB were unable to get permission for sluices (from the EA) this side of the breeding reason.

Regards, John

Geoff and John -

Tnx for bringing me up to date with future plans - we have had 'wetter' Summers over the last few years but, that aside, Middleton floods very quickly at all times so something more 'permanent' will need to be done or access for both birds and birders will be ever more difficult - it's hard work trudging around there in wellies.....

My first visit for over a week (I've been birding in Lincs again, highlight was finding a Buff-breasted Sandpiper which was displaying to Dunlin and Ringed Plover!).
Things haven't changed much here with some footpaths flooded and the north pit completely inundated again but at least we have a bench to sit on at the north pit at last, with a bit of screening for shelter it would be almost as good as a hide.
Not many birds were seen but the highlights were, 1 Oystercatcher, 100 ca. Lapwing, 1 Kingfisher, 1 Jay and a Yellow Wagtail. Recent sightings on the notice board have included returning Green Sandpiper and a Short-eared Owl.
Geoff
PS. Note that the iron gates were closed at the main entrance today, I had to turn around and go out the Hall entrance.

Last edited:
Well done with the BBS Geoff, hvnt seen one of them for 20 years!:eek!:

Had thought of visiting Middleton but not in the current state, sticking more local......

ATB Laurie:t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back