• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lewis Wind Farm Proposal (1 Viewer)

curracag

Certified Member
Lewis Wind Farm Proposal - Largest windfarm in Europe threatens thousands of birds.

I live here on the Isle of Lewis and am very concerned about the proposed windfarm development. I must stress I'm not against wind energy or renewable energy, far from it. But this industrial scale proposal is planned for a very sensitive area (SPA, RAMSAR) and will consist of:-

234 wind turbines each with a foundation (re-inforced concrete typically 22m x 22m) and crane hardstanding each 140m (455 feet) high (base to tip of blade).
167km of road with a typical running width of 5m (16ft)
210 27m (88ft) high pylons over 56km (35 miles) of the wind farm route.
9 electrical sub stations
a control building
9 wind monitoring masts (90m/300ft high)
overhead lines and underground cable
5 quarries will be needed
8 temporary compounds
4 concrete batching plants

RSPB Scotland have released the following briefing:-

An application has been submitted for an industrial wind farm on the North Lewis Peatlands SPA. We believe the proposal will have a damaging impact on a huge number of important bird populations including golden eagle, black-throated diver, red-throated diver, dunlin, merlin and greenshank. This is a site of International importance, will you write an objection to the Scottish Executive to help us save it?

The RSPB’s Position on Wind Power and Other Renewables
The RSPB views climate change as the most serious long-term threat to wildlife in the UK and globally. If we are to avert serious disruption to natural, social and economic systems we need to act now to limit the use of fossil fuels that release greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. We therefore support the increased use of wind power, as long as wind farms are sited, designed and managed so they do not significantly harm birds or their habitats.

The Development Proposal
The proposal by Amec and British Energy is for a 234 turbine, 702MW wind farm on the Isle of Lewis in the Western Isles of Scotland. The turbines will be 140m high to the tip of the blade and be supported by a large concrete foundation (approximately 22mx22mx1.5m). The application also includes 167km of roads, nine electrical substations, a control building, nine wind monitoring masts, 210 pylons supporting a network of overhead lines, five rock quarries, eight temporary compounds and four concrete batching plants. All this will take roughly three years to build.

Impacts On Birds
The Lewis Peatlands Special Protection Area (SPA) was classified under the European Council Directive on the Conservation of Wild Birds (79/409/EEC); the site encompasses an area of 58,984 hectares. The qualifying species are:

• Red-throated diver 80 pairs (9% British breeding population)
• Black-throated diver 13 pairs (8% British breeding population)
• Golden eagle 5 pairs (1% British breeding population)
• Merlin 20 pairs (1% British breeding population)
• Golden plover 1800 pairs (8% British breeding population)
• Dunlin 3400 pairs (37% British breeding population)
• Greenshank 140 pairs (10% British breeding population)

Of all the British SPAs, this has the largest population of golden plover at the highest densities; it also has the largest population of dunlin. It is also almost certainly the ‘best’ site in Europe in terms of golden plover and dunlin.

The developers have attempted to define ‘critical’ areas within the SPA by identifying those areas most frequently used by red-throated divers, black-throat divers, golden eagle and merlin – it is not possible to do so for golden plover and dunlin because they occur in such high densities across the entire survey area.

The Environmental Statement (ES) produced by the developer states that:
• 50 golden eagles; and
• 16 red-throated divers are at risk of colliding with the development throughout its 25-year lifetime.
The ES also concludes that:
• 352 golden plover territories; and
• 314 dunlin territories could be displaced during the operation of the wind farm, hundreds more will be affected during construction.
• Merlin, greenshank, whooper swans, greylag geese and corncrakes may also be affected by displacement, disturbance or collision.

The ES clearly accepts that for many of the species the level of uncertainty is simply to high too reach any confident conclusions regarding impacts. For example, we know that large numbers of whooper swans regularly migrate over north Lewis and may be at risk of collision. We do not believe that such a high level of anticipated risk combined with such high levels of uncertainty is acceptable in an internationally important site.

Impacts On The Peatland
Peat bogs act as an effective mechanism for fixing and storing carbon or ‘carbon sinks’. The bulk of carbon associated with peat bogs is stored in the organic soil (peat). Construction on peat bogs can cause erosion of the peat and a release of stored carbon. The network of roads, turbine bases, pylons and compounds across the site will lead to direct habitat loss, a disruption to the hydrology of the peatland, erosion and potential peatslides.

The ES concludes that 577hectares of SPA habitat will be lost or disturbed including 152ha of active blanket bog, a priority habitat under the EC Habitats Directive.

The Process
Because this development will affect a European site, the Scottish Executive are required to consider a series of legal tests as set down in Article 6 of the EC Directive on The Conservation of Natural Habitats and Wild Fauna and Flora (EC Directive 92/43/EEC – The Habitats Directive) before consent can be issued. From our analysis above it is clear that we believe the proposal will have a significant and adverse effect on the integrity of the site (Test 1). If the Executive agrees, they must then consider whether there are any alternative solutions to this proposal – including other locations or technologies (Test 2). They must also consider whether there are ‘imperative reasons of overriding public interest’ which justify allowing such a development (Test 3).

We believe that there are many alternatives to this proposal, which would contribute to both the economy of the Western Isles and to Executive renewables targets, without damaging an internationally important site.

An International Context
The success of this application would set a damaging precedent for all internationally important sites. We need to make the Scottish Executive aware that this application is subject to the widest possible scrutiny.

Further information and the Environmental Statement are available on the developers website:

http://www.lewiswind.com/es/ES%20Text%20Main.htm

Please Act Now - We need your help

Please read this briefing or have a look at the ES on the web and send an objection to the Scottish Executive before the 13 December 2004.

Objections received after this date may still be considered at the discretion of the Executive.

Please send your objections to:

Lesley Thomson, The Scottish Executive, Consents and Emergency Planning Unit, 2nd Floor, Meridian Court, 5 Cadogan Street, Glasgow G2 6AT

Email: lesley.thomson 'at' scotland.gsi.gov.uk

For further information, please contact:
Anne McCall, Planning and Development Manager or Andy Myles, Head of Advocacy & Media
RSPB Scotland, 25 Ravelston Terrace, Edinburgh EH4 3TP
Email: anne.mccall 'at' rspb.org.uk andy.myles 'at' rspb.org.uk Registered Charity Number: 207076 – August 2003

Thanks very much for taking the time to read this long post. Hope you can help.

All the best
Yvonne

Lewis windfarm application

Yes indeed! It is most important to send an objection, even if it is just a few lines. We simply should NOT permit the industrialisation of bird sanctuaries. Or have we gone mad?

More info here: http://www. proact-campaigns.net/windfarmsandbirds/amec_and_lewis.html
(please close in the spaces after www. - there are technical reasons for this way to post the URL, sorry)

Deadline: Dec. 13th

Mark

I agree, this must not be allowed to proceed. It only takes a few minutes to mail a letter of protest ... HAVE YOU SENT YOURS?

A precedent for development in these sensitive areas must not be set!!

Greg L said:
I agree, this must not be allowed to proceed. It only takes a few minutes to mail a letter of protest ... HAVE YOU SENT YOURS?

A precedent for development in these sensitive areas must not be set!!
This proposal is lunacy. I don't have a windfarm anywhere near me so no one can accuse me of being a 'Nimby'.

Where Civil Servants feared the likes of Margaret Thatcher (MT)who made it her business to know everything that was being presented to her, it seems that not all PMs make the same effort and are therefore in danger of being lead up the wrong path. (I am not saying MT was great in what she achieved but at least she made the effort to find out about a subject matter).

The Lewis project is doomed from the start. Do you honestly think that folk will be happy with 200ft and 300ft pylons with the potential for damage to their children, all in an effort to transport electricity from Lewis down through Beauly to Denny to serve the rest of the UK?I think not.

Once the head of TV stations get involved, I think we will start to see some sparks in this whole debacle of piecemeal thinking towards wind farms in general. A lot of damage for little output. Useless machines with much devastation to wildlife and bird habitat.

savethebirds said:
Where Civil Servants feared the likes of Margaret Thatcher (MT)who made it her business to know everything that was being presented to her, it seems that not all PMs make the same effort and are therefore in danger of being lead up the wrong path. (I am not saying MT was great in what she achieved but at least she made the effort to find out about a subject matter)..

Hmm does that include the subsidies for afforestation of the flow-country...

mind you she did away with coal to cut down on the CO2 of course

the mad cow

and we won't be opening any of em back up to burn cleanly either now

she saw to that as well

turkish van said:
I haven't heard...does anyone know if there has been a decision on this either way yet?

Don't know-they said an "Autumn" decision. It's going on a bit isn't it?
This is the BIG ONE. If they delay it long enough AMEC might walk away .
This is one big hot potato for the Scottish so-called Executive.

Colin

Tim Allwood said:
mind you she did away with coal to cut down on the CO2 of course

the mad cow

and we won't be opening any of em back up to burn cleanly either now

she saw to that as well

You struggled with that one a bit Tim!!

Now which is it-Maggie the far seeing strategist who decreed the dash for Gas in the face of Union objections, thus achieving the ONLY reduction in UK CO2 output......
OR-Maggie the intransigent union basher who closed all the coal mines thus depriving us of much higher CO2 levels, and the opportunity to have more coal fired power stations to close-or clean up.

Yep-it's a difficult one!!

Colin

she more than made up for any reductions by insulting people who take public transport and driving the 'car economy'

and it's the second of course Colin!!!

makes the 'problems' of the communities with wind farms seem rather churlish in comparison to the mining area... not many bothered then... now the chickens come home to roost

Tim Allwood said:
she more than made up for any reductions by insulting people who take public transport and driving the 'car economy'

and it's the second of course Colin!!!

makes the 'problems' of the communities with wind farms seem rather churlish in comparison to the mining area... not many bothered then... now the chickens come home to roost
You miss the point! Civil servants feared her because she made it her business to be informed.
I have been in group studies where very persuasive individuals, with ill informed information, actually managed to persuade really intelligent folk (with the correct answers) to their deaths! Fortunately this was all potentially life threatening events but nonetheless the 'ill informed' proved they could persuade those with the answers to give up on their views. Now that's what I call spin with a capital S. So much of it goes on here in this site.

savethebirds said:
I have been in group studies where very persuasive individuals, with ill informed information, actually managed to persuade really intelligent folk (with the correct answers) to their deaths!

your cheek is admirable

how you square it with knowing better than all the climatologists is puzzling but the bare faced cheek and sheer brassneck is cool... more power to you keep it up

and what's best is that i bet you really dont see the contradiction :eek!:

Jane Turner said:
I believe that reasoned and level-headed debate is winning the day.
Well my answer to this was......Eh? Apparently "Eh?" is too short for this system. "Reasoned and level-headed debate"..... I've yet to see it!

Tim Allwood said:
your cheek is admirable

how you square it with knowing better than all the climatologists is puzzling but the bare faced cheek and sheer brassneck is cool... more power to you keep it up

and what's best is that i bet you really dont see the contradiction :eek!:
Well I am about to go on a trip for 6 weeks. Soooooooo...... no doubt 'the doubters' will think that I have relented and gone somewhere to retreat because of all the heat. Not so! I'll be back, (I am not related to Arnie) but.... meantime, I will enjoy the 'bare faced cheek' and 'sheer brassneck' from myself and 'others' on this site.

Down with the useless windfarms, conflicts of interest and 'up' with saving the birds' habitat. A true birder should always protect the birds' habitat.

savethebirds said:
Well I am about to go on a trip for 6 weeks. Soooooooo...... no doubt 'the doubters' will think that I have relented and gone somewhere to retreat because of all the heat. Not so! I'll be back, (I am not related to Arnie) but.... meantime, I will enjoy the 'bare faced cheek' and 'sheer brassneck' from myself and 'others' on this site.

Down with the useless windfarms, conflicts of interest and 'up' with saving the birds' habitat. A true birder should always protect the birds' habitat.

have a nice time

see some birds

B :) B :) B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back