• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frigatebirds can't float in water (1 Viewer)

On the boat trip there saw on a couple of occasions single birds happily resting on the water for extended periods.

Hmmmm... Maybe you should let Audubon know about that ;)

Hi Jim, what did the guides say about that?

Several years ago I was taken to the colony in Barbuda where we met a young researcher. At the time, we were told the same. We were also told that sometimes, birds situated in the mangrove bushes would grab a bird that had ended up in the water below and help with pulling the bird up of the water - but the researcher was not sure that actually happens. She did not question that they get heavy if landing in water!

Where I live (14 years), I see Frigates on an almost daily basis and I have never seen one land on water.

Niels

That's what I read before visiting the Dry Tortugas several years ago. On the boat trip there saw on a couple of occasions single birds happily resting on the water for extended periods.

A long shot, Jim, but did you actually mean to refer to Tropicbirds, which commonly do rest on the water at the Dry Tortugas....?
MJB

A long shot, Jim, but did you actually mean to refer to Tropicbirds, which commonly do rest on the water at the Dry Tortugas....?
MJB

No. I took note of them precisely because I was surprised to see them on the water. I did not see them take off, however. So maybe these guys were stuck or sick/injured? I may have photos; will check when I can. (No bird guides on this trip; was a general tourist boat).

Last edited:
No. I took note of them precisely because I was surprised to see them on the water. I did not see them take off, however. So maybe these guys were stuck or sick/injured? I may have photos; will check when I can. (No bird guides on this trip; was a general tourist boat).

Thanks, Jim. My question was based on the older informal name of 'Man-o'-war' Bird' for Tropicbirds, 'frigate' and 'man-o'-war' both being 18th-century mariners' terms for warships, and my own experience of hearing people confuse the two terms when applying them to the birds!
MJB

Here's what that old standby BNA-online has to say on the subject (in its article on the Magnificent Frigatebird)--

"This species lacks waterproof plumage and is rarely, if ever, seen to sit on the water. While adept in the air, frigatebirds have short legs and small feet, and never walk or swim."

So, evidently very unusual but not absolutely unheard of.

Whilst not waterproof, they may be able to withstand a certain amount of waterlogging and still be able to take off? (athough admittedly they're not really designed for a good take-off either in the wing department).

(Ptarmigan (or whatever grouse species it was) on the other hand ... )

Cormorants aren't waterproof either ... ?

But they would be able to take off much more readily?. It might be the taking-off bit that's the issue - but in suitable sea state and wind conditions perhaps possible?

For what it is worth, people occasionally report that land birds (like carrier pigeons crossing English Channel) can alight on a very calm water, rest a little, and take off again.

For what it is worth, people occasionally report that land birds (like carrier pigeons crossing English Channel) can alight on a very calm water, rest a little, and take off again.

I think that it must be possible because the feathers (and especially downy underfeathers) naturally trap air and resist waterlogging (perhaps in addition to some natural oils used to keep them in good condition).

Tried looking for that link for Ptarmigan on the sea around a boat in Alaska (?) but couldn't find it unfortunately.

Last edited:
Just to illustrate the point about small feet: http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=265585

Frigates are know for having a very small wing loading, so small weight relative to their wings. With a slight wind, they do not need any length of anything to take off, they just stretch out their wings, pull down a little and they are airborne from e.g., a bush.

How that would work when sitting on water I do not know.

Niels

I've seen rock doves circle around, and land in the middle of lakes before. Seriously weird experience! Water at least shoulder depth.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back