• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown goose (1 Viewer)

Mike Tom

I recognise the Canada geese but what are the Geese with the orange bills. The picture was taken years ago, 2005 I think, by the river Nene in Peterborough , probably early Spring. Anyone who can solve this ? Many thanks

Attachments

• Goose 551.jpg
    Goose 551.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 94
Feral domestic types - ultimately descended from Greylag and/or Swan Geese, with these looking like mostly Greylag but probably impossible to rule out some Swan Goose ancestry among the traits caused by selective breeding (heavy build and white/piebald plumage).

Feral domestic types - ultimately descended from Greylag and/or Swan Geese, with these looking like mostly Greylag but probably impossible to rule out some Swan Goose ancestry among the traits caused by selective breeding (heavy build and white/piebald plumage).

Thanks very much for the extra detail. All helps build up the knowledge.

A gaggle of geese yes the ones with the orange beaks are domesticated farm geese with grey lag goose mixed in to their breed handsome geese they are on this picture they all seem to have dark or darkish eyes most likely a reddish colour, I remember one on a local lake nearby some years back this goose was all white in colour with a orange beak but had blue eyes was quite a feature was always present for quite some time Introduced there and almost certainly had clipped wings, he was a handsome bird but very vulnerable to attack and sure enough one day he vanished and was never seen again most likely a fox if it was,nt man such a shame but I sensed it would happen one day.

Looks like domestic Pomeranian Goose.. or crossed.. Almost all domestic geese originate from the Greylag Goose... The only exception I know of is the domestic Chinese Goose who's wild ancestor is the Swan Goose...
Of course today you can find crosses between both these domestic bloodlines... These look like they're purely from the Greylag bloodline..

Last edited:
Looks like domestic Pomeranian Goose.. or crossed.. Of course today you can find crosses between both these domestic bloodlines... These look like they're purely from the Greylag bloodline..

Agreed, Graylags all, I don't see any Swan Goose influence on any of the geese.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back