• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Update on Opticron Smartphone Adaptors (1 Viewer)

pete_gamby

Birds? What Birds?!
After the not so successful first trial with iPhone adaptors, we're now in full production with a wider range of products, designed in-house and produced using 3D printing technology.

The poll we ran confirmed the most popular phone models so we now have adaptors in stock for iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5S, Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4. There are various models to fit our HR2, HDF and SDL zoom eyepieces as well as the 40809 and 40810 fixed mag eyepieces.

Next step is to make a set for the iPhone 6 and there will also be adaptors for the Swaro ATX/STX eyepiece module and their HD zoom eyepiece.

More information here:

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/smartphone_adapters.htm

Cheers, Pete

We have just ordered prototype samples for that combination - stock should be available by the end of January.

Regards, Pete

There are such devices out there - Viking, Novagrade and Olivon to name but three.

The price tends to be higher than for a dedicated adapter, some people find setting them up fiddly and they can also be bulky. Those are the three drivers behind the decision we made to go for 3D printed, dedicated adaptors.

BTW - sample iPhone 6 adapter arrived this week but needs a modification to account for the protrusion of the camera from the back of the phone. Stock should still be ready by end of January though.

Cheers, Pete

Hi Pete,
do you also produce adapters for the Swaro ATM HD (25-50x eyepiece)?
Samsung S5 mini in my case.
Thanks,

It's something we looked at but having made a prototype, we didn't get much real interest from our dealers i.e. none of them placed any orders!

Now that I have better access to the Swarovski range i.e. we have stock of their products here at Opticron so I can test properly, it's back on the list of things to do. Watch this space!

Cheers, Pete

New version of our universal smartphone mount (USM-2) is now in stock.

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/usm-2.htm

Please note that this does NOT work with the Swaro 25-50x eyepiece.

We will continue with the 3D printed parts for the time being but the advent of curved glass screens on the Samsung S8 means we won't make a version for that phone - the chances of the screen getting cracked on insertion/removal are too high.

There is also some debate over the use of the iPhone 7+ for digiscoping. The dual lens camera system is apparently problematic. Anyone have any experiences to share?

Cheers, Pete

The difference is that we're using a grip system that can adjust to accomodate eyepieces from 31 to 55mm in diameter. The previous version attached using our DCC adapter which had fixed diameter inserts which clamped onto a selection of Opticron eyepieces.

Unfortunately, as mentioned above, the USM-2 does not connect correctly to the Swaro 25-50x eyepiece. It does physically fit over the eyepiece but the eyepiece does not sit close enough to the camera lens for the phone to make sense of the image falling on the camera sensor.

It also does not fit the ATX eyepiece.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back