• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which lens combination for bird picture ? (1 Viewer)

albatross02

Hello together,

I have got D300S with
Macro lens 60/2.8
Lens 15 - 80/ 5.6
Lens 70- 200/ 2.8

With crop it means 300 mm.
For evidence picture it can be helpful, but ever.

I think about 2 options
First option 1,7 or 2 x adapter for 200 mmm lens.
Second option buy Nikkor 200-500/ 5.6 VR.

Second option would be better with better focal length, but I will have more equipment additional to bino and scope.
Less equipment I will have with adapter and 200 m, but less focal length.

How is about experience with this options ?

Thank You very much.

Best regards
Dieter

The only thing i would say is after owning a D300 a few years ago i found it didnt stand cropping so the longest lens you can.

I will add i was sad to part with it i found the results were great for flowers and insects

Hello together,

I have got D300S with
Macro lens 60/2.8
Lens 15 - 80/ 5.6
Lens 70- 200/ 2.8

With crop it means 300 mm.
For evidence picture it can be helpful, but ever.

I think about 2 options
First option 1,7 or 2 x adapter for 200 mmm lens.
Second option buy Nikkor 200-500/ 5.6 VR.

Second option would be better with better focal length, but I will have more equipment additional to bino and scope.
Less equipment I will have with adapter and 200 m, but less focal length.

How is about experience with this options ?

Thank You very much.

Best regards
Dieter

Hi Dieter ,

I will go for the 1.7 converter on the 70-200 mm , this is my ideal travel lense as i can use it for Birding but also for landscapes and portrait.
I quick the variable aperture long lenses as they never give me the sharpness at the long end zoom and they start to have slower focus especially in low light , moreover they are heavy.
I do have a heavy lense but with a fixed aperture do not recommended those for traveling unless you are only thinking only in birding or wildlife photography.

See some of my birding pictures where a lot of then with the 70-200 F2.8 with a 1.7 Converter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rogeriocrodrigues/

Hope this helps .
Best
Rogerio

Hello mike and Rogerio,

thank You very much for the information.

Rogerio your pictures are very nice.

20. and 21. July Nikon, Svarowski and other companies will present their product in the zoo in Munich.

Best regards
Dieter

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back