• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Montreal in Jan (1 Viewer)

cwpbirder

United Kingdom
Dear All
I will have a day free in Montreal at the end of Jan and I'd be grateful for any info on good locations to see/photograph birds that may be present in the winter - I'm thinking mainly around feeders? Are there any in parks or nature reserves? I'm wondering about Morgan Arboretum?

thanks in advance

Jon (UK)

I would suggest the Montreal Botanical Gardens. I don't know how well maintained the Arboreteum is, but the Botanical Gardens is open year round and suggests birdwatching on their January calendar. It should at least have some maintained areas. Old Man Winter has really hit hard this week with wind chills to -38C. Be sure to check weather and dress appropriately. Subway goes to Bot Gardens, and there are areas for shelter. Frost bite comes easily.

January weather in Montreal is somewhat hostile to birding and especially to photography.

The botanic gardens are a good visit, because they include greenhouses. These contain some impressive tree ferns in addition to the usual orchids, bromeliads, and cacti, but most importantly they're warm!

I recommend eating a lot of poutine to help keep you warm. Montreal is also one of very few towns where you can fairly easily find both a half-decent crepe and a very good bagel.

(For a really great crepe, drive an hour to Sutton, QC.)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back