• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Eyepiece? (1 Viewer)

Stephen Mark

Has anybody heard rumors of a replacement of the 20-60 eyepiece for the smaller Kowa scopes? Seems everybody is discounting that eyepiece and nothing else. Makes me curious yo Steve (O4B) you out there?
Steve

Has anybody heard rumors of a replacement of the 20-60 eyepiece for the smaller Kowa scopes?
Steve

No, but would be nice (and logical) step forward from Kowa, as they started to mention the Kowa-system compatibility regarding old models too, last December. After that two different zoom available for new 770s and 880s models, some refreshment would be nice for smaller bodies and old tubes too. Bigger eye-relief, wider FOV would be nice with all the compatibility to TSN-models (old TSN 1-4, new 601, 660s models, etc.). I hope they will do that.

Thanks Jerry. Very excited about this years show. I've heard a few things (I cannot comment on before the show) that are very good for those looking for binoculars

Would it even be possible to make a wide zoom for a scope with a narrow bayonet aperture?..im just asking..
The baader zoom has been tested in Kowa small scopes,and they have too narrow an aperture, so the zoom tube wont go in
..Does a wide zoom need to be big to have the right size field stop ?...

Regarding Kowa's interest in pleasing a few old scopes users (or upgrading their still in production 66 series..)..LOL is all i can say
Keep in mind they didnt even design a wide zoom for their new released 553 fluorite super douper mini power house spotter...If they decide to fit a better zoom to that scope would be easier to release a version with removable eyepiece and the large 88 bayonet ,than to produce a new eyepiece(Vortex also released their 50 mm scope with fixed zoomeyepiece and now im pretty sure they sell it with an open bayonet,maybe kowa changes theirs too)

Last edited:
Would it even be possible to make a wide zoom for a scope with a narrow bayonet aperture?..im just asking..
The baader zoom has been tested in Kowa small scopes,and they habe too narrow an aperture, so the zoom tube wont go in
..Does a wide zoom need to be big to have the right size field stop ?...

In principle you are right, the true field a telescope can show is limited by the eyepiece field stop.

That is also the reason why classic three times zoom eyepieces tend to be quite narrow at the low magnification end and often get quite wide angle at higher magnifications - at the low end they are limited by the field stop, at higher magnifications not any more.

The new wide angle zoom EPs have less zoom range between 2x and 2.5x which makes things a bit easier - plus the new scopes often have a wider bayonet which helps with a wider field at low mag.

But since there is a very nice 30 wide EP for the Kowa small body scopes, it should be possible to build a 2x zoom from 30-60x at least.

Joachim

Yes Joaquim...possible ,but then lets confront it,for a company to have to go to the limits of what is possible and create a special or complicated eyepiece to retrofit their old models doesnt sound within market reason,or reason at all...I was very surprised to see that kowa didnt fit the wide zoom to the new 553.Granted,the widezoom is expensive(to buy),but seems to be enough room in the bulky price tag of the scope to fit the budget ..To advertise the ULTIMATE to be ready to be released and offer scope fitted with an old and dated eyepiece( for current state of the art standards anyway)is the definition of anticlimactic.Perhaps the expense of the zoom was not reason not to outfit the 553 with the new wide zoom,perhaps the large bayonet was to big for the scope or ..?..who knows
So perhaps in the future ,and for the sake of perhaps(again) the 553 or other small models to come,That new small fit wide zoom might materialize as you guys are hoping..we'll see

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back