• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Grackle? Warning, dead bird (1 Viewer)

carterdorscht

Apparently this bird flew into a neighbours house through an open door, hit the window above the sink, knocked itself out and fell into the sink, which was full of water, and drowned. Sad story.

Would I be right to tell her this is a Common Grackle. It happened sometime last week on St. Joseph Island, Ontario, Canada. COmmon Grackles are rare here this time of the year, but a few to overwinter at feeders, so it's not crazy. She did say it had a few tan and white feathers and a bit of white on the face, which would be odd for a Common Grackle.

Thanks for any info!

Attachments

• 27048380_10159912167905230_1959668024_o.jpg
    27048380_10159912167905230_1959668024_o.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 73
Aw! The poor thing. I don't think this is a Common Grackle. The beak doesn't look right and that thin white outer tail feather doesn't say Common Grackle to me. Let's see what others have to say.

Aw! The poor thing. I don't think this is a Common Grackle. The beak doesn't look right and that thin white outer tail feather doesn't say Common Grackle to me. Let's see what others have to say.

I agree on the beak for sure. I'm just not sure what else would have such a long tail like that and could possibly be around here this time of the year!

It is very wet, so I'm not sure that apparent while edge to the tail isn't just light reflected off the wet. See how it looks after drying.

The bill looks OK for a grackle to me, once you realise the head is probably flopped-over, upside-down with respect to the rest of the body. Also the long tail and the large feet fit.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back