• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cackling or Canada Goose in Delaware, USA (1 Viewer)

GTeig

Seen on Nov. 12, 2016 on a small pond near a shopping center in northern Delaware. The size is clearly smaller than most of the Canada geese in the pond, including the one in the background, and not a lot larger than the Mallard. The necks seem relatively short and thick and the forehead relatively steep. I am not sure the bills are stubby enough gut I an leaning toward Cackling Geese.

Attachments

• CacklingG_5670.jpg
    CacklingG_5670.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 91
Judging by the comparison of the size of the Mallard I'd say the 3 in the forefront are Cackling.

Not minima Cacklers (the only really easy ID), certainly, but possibly one of the larger subspecies (e.g., taverneri).

Last edited:
I agree this separation can be a bit more tricky than most people give it credit for. I have a 4-5 acre pond 30 feet behind my office, and I keep a spotting scope trained on it all fall. It draws a lot of geese, and I go through them every morning, to pick out Cacklings. Sibley's bit about the sub-flocks is important - I have never seen Cacklings randomly mixed in with Canadas - they always in my experience form a little sub-flock that sticks together.

At any rate, I would call the birds in this thread Canadas.

These birds are Canada geese. Agree with Lou's comments. When we get a Cackling over on the East coast... there is usually only 1 or 2 mixed in with a large flock of Canadas.

Sorry, sorry, sorry, in my slapdash fashion I hadn't noticed that a link to the Sibley article had already been posted. That being said, here's (some of) what Sibley has to say on the field separation of the 2 subspecies--

"B. h. taverneri – Taverner’s (Alaska) Cackling Goose – may intergrade with parvipes in interior AK. Merged by Palmer with parvipes but has unique mtDNA. Similar to leucopareia but slightly larger and lighter in color, with rounder head. Similar to parvipes but breast slightly darker."

And there's more in the same vein later in the article. . ..

So, I stick to my original contention that in the present case small Canada (as opposed to large Cackler) is by no means a slam dunk.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back