• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2018. (1 Viewer)

Happy new year for you all!

My first bird for this year was at 7.50 AM:

#1. Blackbird - under the feeder. Not a big surprise.

Then all the usual

#2. Hooded Crow
#3. Common Redpoll
#4. Great Tit
#5. Blue Tit
#6. Bullfinch
#7. Chaffinch
#8. Pheasant
#9. Feral Pigeon
#10. Tree Sparrow
#11. Magpie
#12. Brambling

Any objections to me updating my office window list here, rather than my garden list? I don't really have a garden to speak of...

Said office overlooks the North Sea, doesn't it? ;) So it'll be all Sooty Shearwaters and Pallas's Warblers . . .

Not quite... My window overlooks Aberdeen harbour, so there is potential for one or two interesting things, but both of those would be additions to the window list!

Hi all, my spot is on country side, South-West Finland.

Last year 119 species.

1. Yellowhammer
2. Common Redpoll
3. Blue Tit
4. Tree Sparrow
5. Jackdaw
6. Great Tit
7. Blackbird
8. Brambling
9. Treecreeper
10. Greenfinch
11. Magpie
12. Goldfinch
13. Chaffinch
14. Pheasant
15. Hooded Crow
16. Crested Tit
17. Waxwing
18. Jay
19. Grey Partridge

20. White-Tailed Eagle

21. Stock Dove
22. Linnet
23. Merlin

Yes, welcome Mark and brainticket (great name!).

Just one to add, a single

20. Meadow Pipit

Must get the scope up tomorrow and do a little long distance seawatch - stormyish weather coming. Not hardly had time to look for birds anywhere this year yet....

Thanks all,

The office window list so far...

1. common eider
2. goosander
3. cormorant
4. shag
5. grey heron
6. oystercatcher
7. curlew
8. turnstone
9. redshank
10. black-headed gull
11. common gull
12. herring gull
13. great black-backed gull
14. feral pigeon
15. woodpigeon
16. magpie
17. crow
18. wren
19. robin
20. blackbird
21. starling
22. dunnock
23. grey wagtail
24. pied wagtail
25. blue tit
26. long-tailed tit
27. goldfinch
28. house sparrow

Sometimes interesting things happen just outside the office as well - such as this, last night...

https://twitter.com/FatPaulScholes1/status/948947433819648001

35: Tawny Owl:

A male singing at 5am as I stepped out.

Excellent video of the Otter there FPS!!

Last edited:
Having spent more time in the back garden than I expected this week due to high winds one day and rain another both not encouraging venturing any further I might as well keep a garden list this year. I have a small urban garden about half way from the town centre to the edge. I watch the sky as much as the bushes.

2018 list in chronological order
1. Blackbird (January 1st)
2. Woodpigeon
3. Greenfinch
4. Robin
5. Collared Dove
6. Black-headed Gull
7. Magpie
8. Starling
9. Chaffinch
10. Goldfinch
11. Dunnock
12. Feral pigeon
13. Blue Tit
14. Common Gull
15. Jackdaw
16. Herring Gull
17. Pied Wagtail
18. Coal Tit
19. Long-tailed Tit
20. Carrion Crow
21. Cormorant (January 3rd)
22. Wren
23. Lesser Black-backed Gull
24. Redwing
25. House Sparrow (January 5th)
26. Little Egret
27. Great Tit
28. Blackcap
29. Fieldfare

Highlights so far being the male Blackcap and a flock of 18 Greenfinches.

Steve

Great, another participant! Do you get Red Kites overhead Steve (my sister lives in Ashby and sees them there)?

Still waiting to see the local Buzzards here, so a young

30 Golden Eagle

was a Brucie bonus as I was doing the washing up just now :t:

I have yet to get Red Kite as a garden tick but they are in the area, though much commoner a few miles to the east.
Popped out for an hour last thing after news of two flocks of Pink-feet heading NW over Rutland Water and was rewarded by a skein of 90 right overhead ! A garden tick no less.

30. Rook
31. Grey Wagtail
32. Pink-footed Goose

A slow start to the year.
1. Woodpigeon
2. Collared Dove
3. Feral Pigeon
4. Magpie
5. Herring Gull
6. Great Black-backed Gull
7. Gannet
8. Guillemot

Rainy weather inc. a decent heavy shower and prolonged light rain is so welcome here today - we've had 3 dry winters/wet seasons in succession - hoe we get more! A little look with the scope for about 15 mins (my terrace is approx 250m from the hide tide) revealed about 30 Gannets (all ads) escaping a belt of rain and one for the year;

21. Great Skua

Next time I'll try and get a look just before the rain comes, rather than after as today - usually works better.

I would love to live where I could watch the sea Simon - next time I move............

A good movement of Pink-feet NW across Leicestershire today and I managed to see a skein of 105 over here - three other skeins passed over Loughborough but out of view from my garden.

Three more for the year:
33. Green Woodpecker
34. Sparrowhawk
35. Mallard

Steve

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back