• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pagel's Buffy Fish-Owl (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s a minor possible addition on Mr. Pagel, commemorated in ...

pageli as in:
• the subspecies (Bubo) Ketupa ketupu pageli NEUMANN 1935 (here):
Type. — In my collection : ad., Marudo Bay, Benkoeka River, east coast of British North Borneo, 2. 5.1893, Pagel, leg.
Remarks. — Named after Herr Pagel, who in 1893 and 1894 sent large collections of birds from Marudo and Darvel Bay to the Berlin Museum.
= Dr Max Pagel (here, pp.13-15)

Today's HBW Alive Key has him simply as:
pageli
Dr Pagel (fl. 1901) German physician, collector, in North Borneo 1891-1901 (subsp. Ketupa ketupu).
Apparently he was still alive, still in Northern Borneo, in 1906 (here, p.20 + foot-note).

No other dates, nor years found.

Anyone else have anything more to add?

Björn

Dr. Pagel = Dr (Med.) Pagel (here). And he seems to have kept on collecting all the way into 1909 ... here.

Maybe he thereafter left Borneo? As there was a "Dr. Pagel" who was expected to arrive in Singapore in October 1910 (according to a short note in the newspaper The Straits Times, of 8 October 1910 ... (here). That is if it´s "our" guy, Max Pagel, they listed, of course. ;)

And even If so, if he at that point left for good, or only for a short visit, who knows? Anyone's guess is as good as mine.

For what it´s worth!

Björn
__

Last edited:

Elsewhere in that document I see "2F. u. 2S" and "1F. u. 1 S. 4F." and other variations. Looks to me like a standard set of abbreviations for specimens, since there's a section which cross-indexes locations to museum specimen descriptions. The descriptions say e.g. "Conradts leg." which to me looks like it means that Conradts put it there.

The descriptions say e.g. "Conradts leg." which to me looks like it means that Conradts put it there.
'leg.' stands for legit, 'he collected' in Latin. 'Conradts leg.' = Conradts collected [it].

Thus, e.g., "Marudo-Bay B. Z. M. Nr. 30431/2. F. u. S. Pagel leg." means a specimen from Marudo Bay is deposited as #30431/2 at the Berlin Zoological Museum, and composed of a skin and a skull collected by Pagel.

Last edited:
Here it states

Dr. Pagel in Sandakan , Britisch Nord - Borneo , früher in Nikolassee ; der Kronenorden II . Klasse : dem Geheimen Med.

This is surprising however Mrs Pagel MD is head of the Medical Department at Sandakan Hospital and a Physician and Surgeon in 1907.

A mention here in 1901 managing the hospital at Segama (now in Sabah, Malaysia)

Last edited:
Does this fit
Max August Pagel
Register Type:Erstregister
Birth Date:9 Jan 1863
Marriage Date:21 Jun 1896
Civil Registration Office:Berlin V a
Marriage Place:Berlin, Berlin, Deutschland (Germany)
Father:August Wilhelm Pagel
Mother:Emilie Pagel
Spouse:Klara Franziska Luise Hartwig

Attachments

• 40087_prep502_000444-00259.jpg
    40087_prep502_000444-00259.jpg
    822.6 KB · Views: 3
I would say, yes it is him. Both are Geburtshelfer (something like a midwife. Not sure if there is as well existing midman? as a word. So helping in childbirth) and he was born near Essen at that time Rheinprovinz (would fit to my post #11). At least that is what I am able to read.

The only thing is that I don't know if they went to Borneo. But there is a good chance that it's them.

On this paper, he was a praktische Arzt, Doktor der Medizin, and she was a städtische Lehrerin.
Martin, I think what you read as Geburtshelfer is Geburtsschein, birth certificate -- the document they produced to identify themselves ("der Persönlichkeit [nach] durch Geburtsschein --- anerkannt")...?

Last edited:
To my mind the crucial link that might link Borneo and This guy's is in the award document (post 10) where it says früher in Nikolassee

Yes, albeit if the "Dr. Pagel in Sandakan , Britisch Nord - Borneo , früher in Nikolassee" was a Mrs., then we might have a problem with this link.

But indeed, Nikolassee and "Zehlendorf, Kreis Teltow" (the residence of Max August Pagel on the marriage record) are almost the same place.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back